Sad news: Mary T. of Peter,Paul&Mary died today!

BigBear

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:28 am

I have seen several interviews with Peter Yarrow and he states categorically that Puff has nothing to do with pot but is indeed about innocence lost. You have to remember the political context of the time.

These were essentially Greenwich Village beatniks. Both Yarrow and Stuckey sported goatees and they were a huge voice in the anti-war movement. They vocally supported every left-wing cause at the moment and drew criticism from the "Establsihment". Branding them as Pot Heads may have served a useful political purpose but certainly didn't silent them and only made them stronger. But they were radicals to their core and Mary Travers may have been the most radical of the three!

Rest in Peace Mary, your voice will be missed if not your politics!!

AndyT

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:27 am

See what you started Rick? I told you how many times not to spread rumors online. LOL

Many of us remember P,P & M and the music they graced us with. No matter what the meaning, it will always have a place in our heart and because of that, so will Mary. God take you and bring you into His house Mary.

BRBbrb

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:27 am

BigBear wrote:
I have seen several interviews with Peter Yarrow and he states categorically that Puff has nothing to do with pot but is indeed about innocence lost. You have to remember the political context of the time.

These were essentially Greenwich Village beatniks. Both Yarrow and Stuckey sported goatees and they were a huge voice in the anti-war movement. They vocally supported every left-wing cause at the moment and drew criticism from the "Establsihment". Branding them as Pot Heads may have served a useful political purpose but certainly didn't silent them and only made them stronger. But they were radicals to their core and Mary Travers may have been the most radical of the three!

Rest in Peace Mary, your voice will be missed if not your politics!!
Interesting stuff Bear; Beatniks; that's a term you don't hear anymore! One of them is now the host of "Thomas the Train" on pbs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic