Sad news: Mary T. of Peter,Paul&Mary died today!

BRBbrb

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:30 am

Great, they're so young here. Heard a rumor this song is really about, you know, whacky tobaccy!

suziko

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:33 am

I've heard that theory too, but besides the word "Puff" it doesn't hold much water, at least in my mind!

BRBbrb

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:53 am

Well "Jackie Paper" is a bit bizarre!

suziko

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:02 pm

LOL, I never thought about that part! Ok, you might have a point :)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:10 pm

I can't think of a better way of spending a life.... singing with friends. They must be one of my early memories too. God bless her!

willem

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:28 pm

BRBbrb wrote:
They sure could sing...

Thanks Barb,i heard it on the news to, but you blessed us with this nice video..

rcsnydley

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:39 pm

Here is a video of Peter, Paul & Mary singing "Leaving On A Jet Plane" with John Denver.

There is a shameless plug in the middle, however, it's not to bad.

Thanks, Mary

haoli25

Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:30 pm

Karma for you Suzi. Nice clip! :)

BRBbrb

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:26 pm

BRBbrb wrote:
Great, they're so young here. Heard a rumor this song is really about, you know, whacky tobaccy!
I think this is mostly "interesting" and plausible folk-legend, rather than based on fact. The lyrics are from a more innocent time, and the references are forced, in my opinion. But you don't have to take my opinion: the song's author Peter Yarrow (and the others in PP&M) has come out more than once saying there was no hidden drug-related meanings to the song. From various sources, make of them what you will:

Some of the alleged drug references in this song include the little boy's name, Jackie Paper, which stood for rolling papers; the "autumn mist," which was marijuana smoke, and the "land of Hanah Lee," which was the Hawaiian town of Hanalei, famous for its marijuana plants. Yarrow insists it had nothing to do with drugs and he didn't even know about pot in 1958. The drug rumors were fueled by an article in Newsweek magazine about hidden drug messages in pop music.

And:

After the song's initial success, speculation arose that the song contained veiled references to smoking marijuana.[5] For example, the word "paper" in the name of Puff's human friend (Jackie Paper) was said to be a reference to rolling papers, and the word "dragon" was interpreted as "draggin'," i.e., inhaling smoke; similarly, the name "Puff" was alleged to be a reference to taking a "puff" on a joint. The supposition was claimed to be common knowledge in a letter by a member of the public (who offered no qualifications for his expertise on the topic) to The New York Times in 1984.

The authors of the song have repeatedly rejected this urban legend and have strongly and consistently denied that they intended any references to drug use. Peter Yarrow has frequently explained that "Puff" is about the hardships of growing older and has no relationship to drug-taking. He has also said of the song that it "never had any meaning other than the obvious one".

On one occasion, during a live performance, Yarrow mocked the drug-related interpretations by reciting his own tongue-in-cheek drug-related reinterpretation of "The Star-Spangled Banner", and ended by saying, "...You can wreck anything with that kind of idiotic analysis."

Whatever the truth, I prefer to think of it as more innocent. :)

I also have reams of fond memories of Peter, Paul, and Mary -- their 10 Years of Greatest Hits album being one of the first I ever owned. I knew every lyric by rote. I think its time to learn some on the guitar!

Cheers.

rcsnydley

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:40 pm

fjvdb wrote:
BRBbrb wrote:
Whatever the truth, I prefer to think of it as more innocent. :)
I also feel it is about innocence lost and lamenting the fact of growing up and leaving childhood behind. Hearing it as a young person I never saw it any other way until someone pointed it out.

I enjoy playing and singing it for the innocence and fun of the song.

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic