Call out for new forum topics..

goldleaf

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Andy, they may all fall under guitar techniques as an overall heading. As long as each one is addressed in a clear manner so others would be able to recognize it as available information. In other words if someone had questions about the proper way to hold the guitar and could easily find the discussion related to that, it would work for me. Gary

AndyT

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:34 am

Gary, I'm pretty sure that's the whole idea.

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:19 am

goldleaf wrote:
Andy, they may all fall under guitar techniques as an overall heading. As long as each one is addressed in a clear manner so others would be able to recognize it as available information. In other words if someone had questions about the proper way to hold the guitar and could easily find the discussion related to that, it would work for me. Gary
Gary,

Each Category can be further subdivided into 'Child Boards' which is one way, and I'm sure you may have noticed each category can have different Threads. So I would say topics which fall under a broad heading might be best there. I understand what you say, but the idea of the category is to post relevant topics/questions by members which can be easily found and answered by Neil or a member of the team. If we had a huge long category list this might present problems.

As I am gathering this info I shall point out what you have said to the TG team.

reiver

Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:37 am

If I can just add a few thoughts;

Musical styles – folk/celtic
A General Hardware section – the bits that aren’t a guitar - strings/capos/amps/leads etc
Software – for recording/writing, interesting web sites etc
Music – tabs, chord sheets, lyrics etc
Practice – warm up exercises, training tips, practical improvement aids
A Forum guide section – how to get the most from the tools available when posting
Albums/ Song release – new albums, old favourites etc
An “I don’t know where else to put it” section – news pieces, tour announcement, concert reviews etc

With regard to the proposed Joke section, can I add a note of caution? Jokes tend to require someone, a group, a nationality, a sex, drummers, to be the butt of the joke. If we have people on this site, as members or guests, who are sensitive – or just looking for something to complain about – then that is where they are going to look. Not trying to be a killjoy, just trying to point out a possible area of contention in the future.

Just a few thoughts. Hope some of them are useful.

Good luck with pleasing everyone on the site!

r

BigBear

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:52 pm

For what it's worth:

Guitar Playing (all general discussions related to the act of guitar playing--techniques, styles, etc.)
Technical (wood types, body styles, repair questions, maintenance, etc.)
Guitar Accessories (capos, cords, tuners, strings, etc.)
Other Instruments (ukes, mandolins, banjos, brass/woodwind, etc.)
Guitar Players (comments/critiques of famous, not-so-famous, and infamous guitar players)
Lessons/TABS/Notation (discuss lessons, share/discuss TABS/notation, etc.)
Sound (amps, mics, recording, performance issues, pickups, etc.)
Site Comments (offer suggestions, compliments, complaints, ideas related to TG)
Miscellaneous (covers everything from sharing pics of your guitars to music jokes, for sale items, giveaways, nervous breakdowns, etc.)

Greg

bazzaspain

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:43 pm

As we are all learning, but equally will all be at different levels, what about a section along the lines of "things I wish I had thought more of or knew earlier"
the different things we realise six months, a year or whatever down the road that you wished you'd realised were more important or wished someone had told you were more important or would make things easier much earlier
An example for me was playing chords and not really taking any notice of the strings you shouldn't play, the little x's above the chord box and the little o's showing the ones you should play as open strings.
In quite a lot of basic chords and to an unsophisticated ear it didn't make a load of difference to me scratching through a few tunes, but in terms of understanding the music theory and how the chords relate to the scales and at times realising the subtle differences in slash notes I wished I'd been less cavalier early on
There must be a whole host of tips we've all learnt as we've blundered away through learning and probably lots we haven't. The trouble with a lot of bad habits you pick up learning is that it's harder unlearning them than learning the right way to begin with
I can see Neil highlights a lot of things in his lessons tips on how to approach things, correct fingerings and so much more, but also it's no doubt a long time since he was a novice trying to learn. He might just have forgotten a few of the blunders we tend to make in our quests to be blunder free guitarists, or in my case a blunder fewer guitarist

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Quite a few ideas coming in, good work but don't stop , keep the those creative juices flowing and ideas coming. With such a lot of categories I can see we'll need a better index to find them easily.

TGMatt

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:53 pm

Yeah I think Id like to see the countries represented..and areas of the largets countries..so maybe CHas and all we can come up with a list that makes sense..,

TGMatt

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:43 pm

TO add to the previous post..

Started a few country of origin music thread series..so we need somewhere to house that..

Also Purcussion, Wind instruments, Keyboards, Bass, Electric, Ukelele, Theory/composing

and their subs ....

Local band stuff...somehow like to present that in some kind of manageable format..suggestions welcome

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:01 am

...oh, ho, you guys are going to get your Beginners Guide to Swiss Challet and Alp Horn Blowers Rock!!! Yeeeehaa!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic