Greatest Opening Guitar Riffs of all time ....

chutch

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:32 pm

Baby Please don't Go by everyone.....B)

suziko

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:55 am

How about Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight:

Jimmer

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:05 pm

Is there anyone who doesn't recognize this...?

> Jimmer

goldleaf

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:25 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
I think to determine which is the best you need to get a broad cross section of society and from different continents. We certainly have the latter , not so sure about average age of the site though!

If a riff is to be the greatest, then it needs to be able to stand the test of time and be recognised widely. All the posts here are recognisable and great but not all would be able to stand the test of time and quite a few would not be known by a lot of the younger generation today. ONe of them which has been mentioned three times so far is 'Smoke On The Water' now if your a petrol head in New Zealand and not necesarrily a music lover you would recognise that instantly as its played regulalry at most motor races and stockcar races here. So out of the options so far I'd go with Smoke On The Water. (and I didn't even post that one...)
Neil felt that Smoke on the Water was to "Caveman" and I agree but lots and lots of people like Caveman when it's played like that. Got to agree with your analysis, since there is no easy way to pick the "best" you have to use some rational as you stated. Gary

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:42 am

I really get Neil's caveman comment and agree totally with that. Anything that's going to feed petrol heads in NZ is off my list :laugh: sorry Chas!
Love that John Mellencamp riff Jimmer!
I'm never going to come up with THE best, just best riffs...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic