The "official Aussie" Music thread

dennisg

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Hey, Aussies, how did you manage to forget this band? They had a huge hit in America in the '60s.

Maybe cos all founding members were not Australian! All five founding members were from families who had migrated to Australia from Europe: lead singer Stevie Wright and drummer Gordon Henry "Snowy" Fleet were from England; rhythm guitarist George Young was from Scotland; lead guitarist Harry Vanda and bassist Dick Diamonde were from The Netherlands.
Picky, picky. They were all Aussies by the the time they had the hit.

- Dennis

Chasplaya

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:38 pm

dennisg wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Hey, Aussies, how did you manage to forget this band? They had a huge hit in America in the '60s.

Maybe cos all founding members were not Australian! All five founding members were from families who had migrated to Australia from Europe: lead singer Stevie Wright and drummer Gordon Henry "Snowy" Fleet were from England; rhythm guitarist George Young was from Scotland; lead guitarist Harry Vanda and bassist Dick Diamonde were from The Netherlands.

- Dennis
This then begs the question, if both parents are born overseas and so are the kids, but they now live elsewhere , as with these guys, when do you become a citizen of that country, or do you ever really. Take me for example I was born in Scotland but have lived in NZ for the greater part of my life, I count myself as being Scottish still even though I have dual citizenship. I do however, have a very close affinity with things NZ.

dennisg

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
dennisg wrote:

- Dennis
This then begs the question, if both parents are born overseas and so are the kids, but they now live elsewhere , as with these guys, when do you become a citizen of that country, or do you ever really. Take me for example I was born in Scotland but have lived in NZ for the greater part of my life, I count myself as being Scottish still even though I have dual citizenship. I do however, have a very close affinity with things NZ.
There's a saying in America: If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a freakin' duck.

Tell you what, Chas, if you want to form a rock band, have a huge hit, then watch what happens 45 years from now when I roll my wheelchair up to the computer to post a thread about my favorite New Zealand bands, and I happen to mention your lone hit, I'll probably identify you as a kiwi. I hope that's okay with you.

- Dennis

TGMatt

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:33 pm

Not a Kiwi...

Not even a descendant of a convice..

Daryl Braithwaite

TGMatt

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Viva la Coldplay

tovo

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:41 pm

dennisg wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

There's a saying in America: If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a freakin' duck.

Tell you what, Chas, if you want to form a rock band, have a huge hit, then watch what happens 45 years from now when I roll my wheelchair up to the computer to post a thread about my favorite New Zealand bands, and I happen to mention your lone hit, I'll probably identify you as a kiwi. I hope that's okay with you.

- Dennis

tovo

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:43 pm

Don't know what happened there, my post got mixed with Dennis and Chas.

It's true that a LOT of successful Australian bands and solo artists were born overseas. ACDC is the most famous example. The Youngs (Angus in ACDC and George from the Easybeats) were born in Scotland as was Bon Scott the original (and by far best imho) Lead Singer was also Scottish. However they lived in Australia from their early teen years, the band was formed in Australia and generally acknowledged as Australian. For a time, Australian radio thought ACDC were a bit to raunchy for Australian audiences and refused to play their stuff, so the band for a time snubbed Australia and started to emphasise their Scottish heritage.

This county is made up of immigrants so it's not surprising that we have a lot of citizens who were born in other countries. As long as these guys are making good music I don't really care where they were born.

I think Bon Scott was the stuff. Very charismatic guy and lived for quite a while just around the corner from my family home. The "Largs Pier" hotel in Adelaide was at the time one of 2 major live venues in the country and ACDC played there often. Bon Scott first played in public with ACDC here in Adelaide. Fantastic.

Here's a post in case anyone has never seen the great Scott:

TGMatt

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:11 am

Sorry couldnt resist..was in search of some nostalgia..

haoli25

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:19 am

Funny stuff Matt. That commercial alone must have caused many to leave Oz. :laugh:

Bill

TGMatt

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:26 am

This one is just something I play occasionally when I get a little retrospective

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic