Most emotional Guitar playing for you ??

goldleaf

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Chas, I'm looking online almost daily trying to decide what type of video cam I want to buy. Don't want to spend a lot just enough to do vid for TG. Did you say you can play the electric parts of Private Investigation or you would like to? That would be awesome either way. Like I said in my post that son just enchants me for some reason, I to would like to do a vid of it but I might have to start w/ harvest moon or something like that. Didn't think that many people would know that song much less be one of their all time favs, like mine. Gary

Jimmer

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:20 pm

The most emotional music for me comes from a genre I don't have a lot of experience with - classical. When I was stationed in England in the early 80's I used to take the train to London's Barbican Center to hear John Williams (the guitarist, not the Boston Pops conductor... :-)) play with the English Chamber Orchestra. The first time I heard his rendition of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez (especially the 2nd movement - Adagio) it brought tears to my eyes... both in the sheer beauty of the music and in John's incredible technique...

Though youtube doesn't do it justice - you have to hear it live - this is a reasonable facsimile...

Starts slow... let it build. The crescendo is awesome... and I don't use that word often... Starts to build about 6:20 into this 11 minute piece and it's breathtaking...

> Jim

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:27 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Chas, I'm looking online almost daily trying to decide what type of video cam I want to buy. Don't want to spend a lot just enough to do vid for TG. Did you say you can play the electric parts of Private Investigation or you would like to? That would be awesome either way. Like I said in my post that son just enchants me for some reason, I to would like to do a vid of it but I might have to start w/ harvest moon or something like that. Didn't think that many people would know that song much less be one of their all time favs, like mine. Gary
I can play the electric parts, the opening measures are great but as i don't have effects pedals anymore (thanks rat like dog that ate the cables) I can't get the same echo or delay effect that MK uses. I have two tabs for PI one is superb and the other is ok and easier to play.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Jimmer wrote:
[quote]The most emotional music for me comes from a genre I don't have a lot of experience with - classical. When I was stationed in England in the early 80's I used to take the train to London's Barbican Center to hear John Williams (the guitarist, not the Boston Pops conductor... :-)) play with the English Chamber Orchestra. The first time I heard his rendition of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez (especially the 2nd movement - Adagio) it brought tears to my eyes... both in the sheer beauty of the music and in John's incredible technique...

Though youtube doesn't do it justice - you have to hear it live - this is a reasonable facsimile...

Starts slow... let it build. The crescendo is awesome... and I don't use that word often... Starts to build about 6:20 into this 11 minute piece and it's breathtaking...

> Jim

Jimmer

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Most definitely - John, I believe, is among the top 3-4 classical masters in the world now. I have a few treasured CDs of he and Juliam Bream playing together.

I remember Sky - most thought it was a Williams 'brain fart' that he would waste his classical talents on something as 'low brow' as rock, but I think he surprised a few people with his versatility.

Short Williams story: in the 5 years I was stationed in England back in the 80's, I think I saw John play 5-6 times. After I'd seen him a couple of times, I became amused by those who had heard OF him, but not actually SEEN him. Most of the 'upper crust' who would attend the Barbican Center concerts, would chat amiably among themselves while the English Chamber Orchestra, in full coats and tails, would tune up. The funny part was the audible sharp intake of breath, when John, a much younger than expected 'master', would amble onstage with pony tail, a purple velour shirt, carrying a lawn chair... LOL But any misgivings as to his 'master status' were soon quelled when he started playing... :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic