What are your guitar related goals?

adamrtrahan

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:56 pm

jayswett wrote:
Thanks for jogging my memory. It wasn't "Jealous Again" (although I did enjoy the video). The song to which I referred earlier is "She Talks to Angels". Very nice song. Impossible to sing, but it sure would be nice to play.
Actually that is the next song I want to learn.

adamrtrahan

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:02 pm

I talked about my big goal on another one of your posts but I'll say it again here.

By the end of next year I want to play a couple of songs at an open mic night. I think this goal will make all of my small goals happen (learn more songs, play better, practice more, yadda yadda). Just having a challenge to conquer is doing wonders for my playing. Actually I hope some of you guys take up the same challenge. We can push each other to make it happen.

goldleaf

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:32 pm

The goal that is motivating me know is to make a video. That requires that I obtain a video camera which I don't mind buying but does require comparison shoping for me at least. I know buying a Vid Cam is not a direct goal but it is necessary to achieve my immediate goal. At the same time I need to pick a couple songs that I can practice to the point where I feel comfortable putting on Video, which requires practice.
- My long term goal is to learn maybe a dozen songs complete.
- I do want to learn more theory and reading music and hope my curiosity increases as my proficiency learning different songs makes learning reading music more relevant.
- I would like to settle into a routine for practicing and chosing songs that I can follow up with instead of half/mass learning each new song TG introduces.
My goals may change or become more clear as I start achieving the immediate ones. Gary

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:43 pm

Good idea for a thread Joe!

My goal is to become more competent on all the songs I can play (camp fire versions mostly) and to be able to play riffs and licks sometimes and generally dress up the songs I like to sing. I don't mind about perfect or "right", it just has to sound good to me (and others who can judge better) and be fun to do.
I also want to learn more advanced songs and understand enough theory to do what I want. I'm very much a learning-by-doing-and-seeing person and I do like to understand structure but only if it's going to translate into something I can do. I like to doodle around making up my own songs or sounds but I simply don't know enough really to take that too far so advancing there would be fun. I'm just posting a self composed song in the review section so you can get an idea about what I mean (for better or worse!!).
Goals are great to have and to strive for, so thanks for starting this thread to get people to formulate their goals.... it makes it much more likely for one to succeed when the goal is formed and stated.

BigBear

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:15 pm

Fred wrote:
Hello All;

I've been playing 2 years and really enjoy my time playing music - just need to find more time to do it!

Fred

Fred- your first post! Is that a Taylor you're holding in your left hand?

Welcome to the program and we're glad to have you with us. Would you be so kind as to go over to the Please Introduce Yourself thread and tell us a little about yourself? Where you live, how old you are, what are your musical tastes, where are you on your musical journey? That kind of thing! It's painless, I promise!

Anyway, hope you enjoy the program and let us know if we can ever help you! Not that we are all that great but collectively there is lots of good experience here!

Cheers! :cheer:

jayswett

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:34 pm

adamrtrahan wrote:
I talked about my big goal on another one of your posts but I'll say it again here.

By the end of next year I want to play a couple of songs at an open mic night. I think this goal will make all of my small goals happen (learn more songs, play better, practice more, yadda yadda). Just having a challenge to conquer is doing wonders for my playing. Actually I hope some of you guys take up the same challenge. We can push each other to make it happen.
That open mic night idea (as a goal) is a good one. Good motivation to practice songs from beginning to end rather than learning only bits and pieces as so many do, including me until I joined this site. Need to look into this more...

Fred

Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:46 am

Hey Bear -

The guitar in my left habd is a Takamine. I'll go over to the Introduction thread and give some info on me.

Thanks for the welcome...

Fred

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic