What are your guitar related goals?

heyjoe

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:43 am

Hello All

I was thinking earlier about the goals/aspirations/dreams I have for my guitar playing, and wondered what guitar related goals everyone else has set themselves.

Mine vary from the tiny, to the (what for me at least) feel like absolutely huge, somewhat scary, what if possibilities.

As an example, my current goals are

To keep to my practise routine, its working for me, I can see the improvement in only 2 weeks.

To continue learning theory, I'm the sort of person who wants to know how things work, and why, so I need to do this for myself, and to improve my playing.

To continue focussing on the basics, to improve them, and to make sure that I'm doing these things right.

To be able to play 1 song correctly, in time, and with as few mistakes as possible ( I'm not a perfectionist on this matter)

To be able to build up a repertoire of songs which I can play all the way through and people can recognise and sing along too ( that'll be the campfire section then!)

Learn classical gas, imagine, and windy and warm to a standard where I can play them and people can recognise them.

To be able to fingerpick correctly.

Finally, this is the latest, and the scariest goal I'm busy considering....going to an open mic/busker night, and playing a song..never done it before...it scares the you know what out of me, but it would be a challenge..I've been in bands before which have never got past the rehearsal stage, so its something I'd like to do while I'm still able.

So, what are your goals?

Joe

suziko

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:26 am

Good goals, Joe! Here are my current goals(I think we'll have some overlap):

1. to keep practicing at least 1 hour each day

2. to be able to switch to barre chords without fumbling too much, and have them sound relatively clear

3. to have enough songs in my repetoire so that I could lead a sing-a-long at a party or while camping

4. to not break into a total sweat whenever I have to play in front of someone

I have more "down the road" goals, but as a beginner, these feel like attainable ones for the time being.

jayswett

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:50 am

Three immediate goals:
1) learn the Landslide solo. This is proving to be a significant challenge
2) learn and record a video for Dear Prudence
3) finish learning Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Almost there.

Long term goals:
1) understand music theory. Currently, I know nothing.
2) learn that Black Crowes song that was popular in the early 90's. The name escapes me, but I do know that it is played with open E tuning. It's not a Target Song, but I've been wanting to learn that song for a long time.

heyjoe

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 am

jayswett wrote:
2) learn that Black Crowes song that was popular in the early 90's. The name escapes me, but I do know that it is played with open E tuning. It's not a Target Song, but I've been wanting to learn that song for a long time.
Great band, the Black Crowes. I think the song you may be thinking about is "Jealous again" maybe..if memeory serves it is in an open tuning, I used to have a transcription for it somewhere, if you need it I'll try and find it.

AcousticAl

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:43 am

My last entry here was veering off topic.

I pm'd you Jay.

jayswett

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks for jogging my memory. It wasn't "Jealous Again" (although I did enjoy the video). The song to which I referred earlier is "She Talks to Angels". Very nice song. Impossible to sing, but it sure would be nice to play.

AndyT

Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:11 pm

This one:

Fred

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:28 pm

Hello All;

My first post, and it seems that this would a good one for me to chime in on. Firstly, I take lessons from Neil each Monday evening, so I have the luxury of discussing my aspirations with Neil during my time with him.

Short run goals:
1) Maintain a practice routine where my focus is working on a particular drill or chord change excercise that Neil has recommended;
2) Maintain playing daily, even if it's only for a 10 - 20 mintue interval;
3) Try to really understand an item related to theory (perhaps a scale template) during the course of a practice week;
4) Improve chord changes (barre and regular) to where there is no fumbling.

Long run goals:
1) Improve my music theory knowledge;
2) Play songs (the whole song) where the listener can easily be recognize and sing along;
3) See number 4 in short run;
4) Be able to play "leads" and riffs.

I've been playing 2 years and really enjoy my time playing music - just need to find more time to do it!

Fred

rdaltry

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:37 pm

I don't think I am in the same boat as alot of you. I play (not practice) just for enjoyment. I love to play and sing. I play mostly for relaxation. I think the only thing I would like to do is to re-learn to read music. I learned how to read music i school, but have long since forgotten. Have fun all of you with your guitar playing, remember it's not a job, It is for your enjoyment. Practice with joy in your heart, and keep your hands, arms and shoulders relaxed. And your fingers will glide from chord to chord.

PG:cheer:

tovo

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Paulguitar56 wrote:
I don't think I am in the same boat as alot of you. I play (not practice) just for enjoyment. I love to play and sing. I play mostly for relaxation. I think the only thing I would like to do is to re-learn to read music. I learned how to read music i school, but have long since forgotten. Have fun all of you with your guitar playing, remember it's not a job, It is for your enjoyment. Practice with joy in your heart, and keep your hands, arms and shoulders relaxed. And your fingers will glide from chord to chord.

PG:cheer:
Good advice I think on relaxing PG. I agree absolutely that guitar should be enjoyable but I find more enjoyment when I do something well, and if I am to play well I need to practice, and practice, and practice. I get enjoyment from improvement. I would never be happy just noodling along learning bits and pieces of songs. I think a couple of others have listed "play songs all the way through" and I get that goal. Here are a couple of mine:

1. Learn landslide (I'm with ya again Jay)
2. Improve on playing what I know
3. Improve theory in order to better understand my instrument
4. Continue to devote at least 1 hour daily to practice
5. Take on Classical Gas
6. Continue on the journey from "noodler" to "guitarist.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic