Open Mic/Busker nights..your opinion?

heyjoe

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:41 am

Hello All

Just wondering, what's your opinion on open mic/busker nights? Are they a good place to go, or places to be avoided at all costs?

Have you ever played at one of these nights, and if so, how did you prepare for the night, in terms of song choice, practising, keeping nerves under control.

The reason I ask is that I had the chance to jam with a friend today who plays at these nights, and it got me to thinking about how I would go about playing a song at one of these nights.

Its a very scary prospect for me, but also a challenge..especially as those who know me say that the only way I can hold a note is in a bucket.

So, what does it take for you to be able to stand up and play in front of other people?

Joe

leeb

Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:24 am

I have played twice now and have enjoyed the experience. I went and watched/listened several times before taking the plunge.. this helped I think.
Song choice was based on what I was practising alot at the time and felt comfortable palying. A glitch was that I had planned on ending with "Take it Easy" but the fella right before me played it so I scambled and played a song I had not practised for some time. In retrospect I should have just played 2 songs instead of 3 but oh well the crowd cheered just as loud for the song I thought I had butchered. That is a good thing to remember... the crowd is on your side and are very supportive... no matter what. I have heard some dismal renditons that make me cheer even louder because of the courage and tenacity of people. Its all about having fun. Interesting enough I opened with Hey Joe :)

AndyT

Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:07 pm

I think these events were created to give the beginner experience. Go for it.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:19 pm

So, what does it take for you to be able to stand up and play in front of other people?
I'd have said: A side kick. If you play with someone else and you've had a chance to practice together you'll feel "safer" and you'll have more energy. Ifind playing alone costs me much more energy than when I can play off someone else's energy... it seems to lift you and carry you and add support. And you can hide the gaffs a little easier!
Just make sure you get a side kick who's guitar has the same accent Joe! ;-)

adamrtrahan

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:50 pm

My goal is to be able to play a few songs at an open mic night by the end of next year. I know it isn't much of a goal but it gives me a purpose for my practicing. I also like having something to strive for.

leeb

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:42 pm

adamrtrahan wrote:
My goal is to be able to play a few songs at an open mic night by the end of next year. I know it isn't much of a goal but it gives me a purpose for my practicing. I also like having something to strive for.
I consider this a lofty and admirable goal...

heatndude

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:47 pm

I struggled with the courage for this myself. Finally I took the plunge, thanks to Neil and the gang after my first tune the jitters went away then I nailed the next two. You would be suprised how encouraging a crowd can be even if you make a boo boo ! Just remember they are watching instead of doing for the most part and usualy are impressed by any amount of talent. Just like other things in life the first time is the hardest !!!! After that you will gain confidence that will make you want to play and practice more, thats what it did to me. Just go for it it will be a blast no matter how it turns out.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:01 pm

This is a great goal Adam! Any goal you can strive for like this is a huge help for your development. It's a very smart way to progress and you'll really be satisfied when you've don it. Then you need to set that next goal.....
Go for it!

heyjoe

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks for all the replies guys

It's something I'm thinking of doing, to focus my playing. If I'm playing just for me, a few mistakes doesn't matter, but I'd like to be able to play in front of people, confident in the knowledge that I can play the song to a decent standard.

And Chris, the idea of a partner in crime is a good one...are you available for a duo busker session...you can sing! I'll make sure your guiytar is tuned in the same accent as mine :P

Joe

wiley

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:22 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic