Getting better audio for your video!

AcousticAl

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I can't say that this would apply across the board, as everyone's cameras are a little different. Having said that, one thing that people might not be aware of is something called auto or manual setting in the audio menu. If you have the option available in your camera menu- choose manual. I'll try to explain why..

When the audio levels are set to auto, then your camera tries to normalize the sound it is hearing (make it all the same level for playback). It basically 'chases' the sound and increases and decreases the input volume depending on what sound it is hearing. When there is loud sound- the auto level LOWERS its input level. When there is very little, or no sound- the auto level INCREASES its input level to try to find sound. That's when you get the hiss. You'll probably notice the hiss disappears or becomes less noticeable as other sound increases. That's your auto level doing its thing.

Manual levels let you set a level that you're happy with- period. You basically play your loudest strum, and set your levels to that. The level will not change/chase the sound. Quiet playing will be quiet- and hopefully have less noise as well. Sometimes there will be an audio meter display on your camera as well. There should be a marker of where most of your notes should hit. They don't all have to be there- but that's your general guide.

This won't be available on all video cameras- and probably not on ANY still cameras that let you record video- but if you're lucky enough to have this option, I would suggest you use it. Your webcam/computer might have this option as well. Worth looking into.

Hope this helps some people.

Al

wrench

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:13 pm

Gotta check into this. I'm having a hard enough time operating a wooden box with strings. When you throw in circuits and options, it gets tougher!

Thanks for the tips Al.

wrench

goldleaf

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:27 pm

I've been looking at mini camcorders to do a vid for TG. In the last "month" 3 different brands have come out, I believe competing with the Flip Cam. 1) there is a Q3 by ZOOM with built in mic's for stereo, great audio but no zoom lens at all. 2)Kodak Zi8 seem nice, it does have a aux. 1/8 jack input for an aux mic/ which could be a good feature. 3) PICSIO by JVC,small, pretty colors just got an e-mail from amazon for this nice little videocam . All 3 are around $180. Can't believe how many minicams have came out in the last month aiming at the "small cam, one touch connect to YouTube", must be a lot of demand for vidcams that have easy interface W/ the computer for sending to YouTube, iTunes, friends, family and other coumputer related sites. Gary

AcousticAl

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:52 pm

wrench wrote:
Gotta check into this. I'm having a hard enough time operating a wooden box with strings. When you throw in circuits and options, it gets tougher!

Thanks for the tips Al.

wrench

I guess I should have prefaced my post by saying DON'T let technology bog you down and stop you from posting a video. It was just a heads-up if you have that feature in your camera. They're packing more & more in smaller cameras these days!

If it doesn't apply to you- THEN GET BACK TO PRACTICING!!

:)

quincy451

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:57 pm

Awesome point. I have only done a few videos and did them with a cheap $20 webcam that came with its own carring bag. About the size of a change pouch. But yes auto would be geared for picking up a human voice and making sure it is heard on playback. Manual would be...a raw recording with audio set where you put it. I will look for such a option on my device. For I did notice that voice was picked up nice and loud but the guitar was barely heard. But I just figured...well, it is a accuostic nylon string instrument with no electronics. My idea was to put electronics in it. But I like your idea. Much simpler. Although the idea of taking a carving knife, and a drill to the guitar and not junking the instrument is a satisfing challenge.

I know, I am going, exit stange left....

regisalumni

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:02 am

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to see if my webcam software has this feature.

suziko

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:30 am

But, see, I like to be able to blame my camera for the poor quality of the sound and not my shoddy guitar playing! :)

In all seriousness, I think at some point I might invest in a real video camera instead of relying on the video capacity of my point-and-shoot camera. It certainly serves its purpose, but as my playing improves (cross fingers!), it might be nice to capture that a bit better.

Thanks for the tip, Al. It's not something I would have known about.

BobR

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks for the info Al. I will be sure to check it out this weekend.

reiver

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks Al - useful stuff. I'm running out of excuses for not posting a video. :(

r

AcousticAl

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:39 am

quincy451 wrote:
Awesome point. I have only done a few videos and did them with a cheap $20 webcam that came with its own carring bag. About the size of a change pouch. But yes auto would be geared for picking up a human voice and making sure it is heard on playback. Manual would be...a raw recording with audio set where you put it. I will look for such a option on my device. For I did notice that voice was picked up nice and loud but the guitar was barely heard. But I just figured...well, it is a accuostic nylon string instrument with no electronics. My idea was to put electronics in it. But I like your idea. Much simpler. Although the idea of taking a carving knife, and a drill to the guitar and not junking the instrument is a satisfing challenge.

I know, I am going, exit stange left....

Some webcam programs have equalizers on them that let you tweak the sound after you capture it. For example- MovieMaker has a function called 'Set Audio Levels' (you'll find this icon on the timeline). When you click it, a sliding bar pops up and lets you choose whether you're recording camera audio or music. It's a pretty basic function- but if you're in Moviemaker anyways, you might want to give it a try and see if you like what it does to your sound.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic