What is the craziest song that you ever played?

terrynewton

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:26 am

What is the craziest song that you ever played? For me I would have to say it was Arlo Guthrie "Alice's Restaurant". That was the most popular request I would get back in the early 70's.. I had a great time and a lot of fun playing and singing that song. It took about 20 minutes to get through it. How about you? What can you share with us?

Here is the clip of Arlo Guthrie / Alice's Restaurant.

goldleaf

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Used to play this song w/o trumpet when I was in a garage band "The Continentals". Gary

songman52

Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:16 am

Once I was playing for a wedding rehearsal dinner (small group) and they wanted to sing "Li'l Red Riding Hood" so I did it and they "sang" along. More than once. A bit of alcohol was involved on their part.

I've also played "Dead Skunk" more than a few times, as well as "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" and "Walking 'Round in Women's Underwear". Do those qualify?
Oh yeah, I've occasionally done "Crabs Walk Sideways" which is a story / song from the Smothers Brothers (I LOVED those guys as I was growing up!) I still have a few of their albums. For you young 'uns, albums are like giant cds, made out of vinyl.

terrynewton

Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:45 am

songman52 wrote:
Once I was playing for a wedding rehearsal dinner (small group) and they wanted to sing "Li'l Red Riding Hood" so I did it and they "sang" along. More than once. A bit of alcohol was involved on their part.

I've also played "Dead Skunk" more than a few times, as well as "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" and "Walking 'Round in Woman's Underwear". Do those qualify?
Oh yeah, I've occasionally done "Crabs Walk Sideways" which is a story / song from the Smothers Brothers (I LOVED those guys as I was growing up!) I still have a few of their albums. For you young 'uns, albums are like giant cds, made out of vinyl.
Songman52, that was great. Thanks for sharing those. I hope others will do the same. Brought back some memories I'm sure. B)

BigBear

Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:54 am

songman52 wrote:
Songman- Do you mean the L'il Red Riding Hood by Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs? We used to play that all the time! It's a classic! We also played Wooly Bully and Ring Dang Do!

Geez, I'm really dating myself!

The wildest song we ever played was Hot Smoke and Sassafras by the Bubble Puppy. Still a great song! Does Love Potion #9 count as a crazy song? I didn't think so either- at the time!! LOL! :silly:

goldleaf

Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Did you all find an old play list from my garage band in an old desk or something. I think we played all of those 1960 to 68 songs or there about. I don't recall the crab walk song. Gary

Max

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:07 pm

Here's one one all the guys would sing to drive the women crazy.

Sheldon Silverstein wrote 'Put Another Log On The Fire.'
Tompall Glaser recorded the sassy little song that same year in 1974.

Put another log on the fire.
Cook me up some bacon and some beans.
And go out to the car and change the tyre.
Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
Come on, baby, you can fill my pipe,
And then go fetch my slippers.
And boil me up another pot of tea.
Then put another log on the fire, babe,
And come and tell me why you're leaving me.

Now don't I let you wash the car on Sunday?
Don't I warn you when you're gettin fat?
Ain't I a-gonna take you fishin' with me someday?
Well, a man can't love a woman more than that.
Ain't I always nice to your kid sister?
Don't I take her driving every night?
So, sit here at my feet 'cos I like you when you're sweet,
And you know it ain't feminine to fight.

So, put another log on the fire.
Cook me up some bacon and some beans.
Go out to the car and lift it up and change the tyre.
Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
Come on, baby, you can fill my pipe,
And then go fetch my slippers.
And boil me up another pot of tea.
Then put another log on the fire, babe,
And come and tell me why you're leaving me.

haoli25

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:49 pm

First of all, I really love my neices and nephew. I MUST! lol I actually learned to play "Hot Potatoe" by the Wiggles for my nephew so he could sing along. After that, I was compelled to learn "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys so my neices (age 9 and 11) could showcase their singing talents. They were even directing..."You are playing this part waaaaayyyyy too fast".

I have no dignity left.

Bill Image

BigBear

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:35 am

haoli25 wrote:
First of all, I really love my neices and nephew. I MUST! lol I actually learned to play "Hot Potatoe" by the Wiggles for my nephew so he could sing along. After that, I was compelled to learn "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys so my neices (age 9 and 11) could showcase their singing talents. They were even directing..."You are playing this part waaaaayyyyy too fast".

I have no dignity left.

Bill

Bill- I hope you took a hot shower after playing the Backstreet Boys! I don't even love my OWN kids enough to play The Boys for them! ROFL!! :silly:

haoli25

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:14 pm

BigBear wrote:
[/quote]

Bill- I hope you took a hot shower after playing the Backstreet Boys! I don't even love my OWN kids enough to play The Boys for them! ROFL!! :silly:[/quote]

Rick, playing the music of the Backstreet Boys is a little like riding a Moped...it's kind of fun until someone else sees you do it, then it is just embarrassing!

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic