Wearing rings and watches whilst playing

heyjoe

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:36 am

Hello All

I was practising earlier on and was having trouble with some chords, changes etc, and I realised that I had my watch on. I've recently started practising without my watch on and its made quite a difference.

The watch I wear is a large,heavy swiss made watch..so I'm thinking that maybe the more jewellery etc that you wear whilst playing, the more it can effect your playing.

I've noticed Neil doesn't wear anything on his hands whilst playing, so, do you, and does it make any difference?

Joe

suziko

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:45 am

Joe- I usually pull my engagement and wedding rings off while I'm playing because it irritates me to have them moving around (especially in winter when they get looser on my finger). Plus, they sometimes hit the strings and make a very unpleasant sound. That's pretty much the only jewelry I regularly wear.

BigBear

Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:00 pm

Joe- I wear my wedding band and my Breitling when I play. At my level, if that made a difference I'd better take up the spoons!! :silly:

RicksPick

Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi

I always wear my wedding and engagement rings
Lucky that with my fat fingers the rings come nowhere near
Especially now I've been working on hand position.
So I don't know any different, lol
Nothing else worn.

RicksPick

AndyT

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:30 pm

I think the real problem is that your watch is SWISS. LOL Stuff from there just rattles when you strum. (Just kidding Chris!)

I wear my watch and my wedding ring. My watch is on my fretting hand so it really does not affect me.

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:13 pm

I wear all my Bling! A Celtic wedding ring and a Citizen watch and no worries. with either.

I am wary about belt buckles though, one belt has a chunky buckle which apart from the obvious that it could damage the guitar makes the body of the guitars sit slightly further away, enough to be noticed.

heyjoe

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Hello All

Thanks for the feedback, my wedding ring stays on no matter what!

Andy, I think you've just insulted bear, as he wears a swiss watch...made by the same company as the one I wear! Seems like great minds think alike, I love wearing the watch, it has huge sentimental value to me.

Chas, if your belt buckle is causing you fretting problems then you either need to correct your posture, or you wear your trousers simon cowell style! :laugh:

Joe

goldleaf

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:15 pm

I always wear my gold quartz ring and my Swiss/diamond watch I bought from a nice man standing at the side of the road as I was crossing the border from San Diego to Tiquana, Mexico, I know he was a nice man cause he sold me this $2,000 watch for $40!! Guess I just got lucky huh? He had a lot more if anyone else wants one!!!. Gary

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:27 pm

heyjoe wrote:
Hello All

Thanks for the feedback, my wedding ring stays on no matter what!

Andy, I think you've just insulted bear, as he wears a swiss watch...made by the same company as the one I wear! Seems like great minds think alike, I love wearing the watch, it has huge sentimental value to me.

Chas, if your belt buckle is causing you fretting problems then you either need to correct your posture, or you wear your trousers simon cowell style! :laugh:

Joe
Haven't you heard of 'buckle rash' on backs of guitars bit like nappy rash but worse!

Guitarmom

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:15 pm

I always take off all of my jewelry except my wedding ring. I agree that watches and bracelets get in the way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic