Roger McGuinn in Concert

BigBear

Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:26 pm

I had the opportunity to see Roger McGuinn in concert last night at a very small venue (converted church). Maybe 150 people in attendance.

I've been to literally hundreds of concerts in my life but Roger was one of the most enjoyable I have been privledged to attend. I have long been a fan of the Byrds but I had no idea Roger had the flatpicking and fingerpicking chops he showed.

What made the show especially fun was he walked us through his entire career starting as a yound boy and his guitar, his attending the Old Town Folk School in Chicago, to recording with the Limelighters, and on to the Chad Mitchell Trio (He wasn't allowed to sing because that would have been the Chad Mitchell Quartet!), then doing backup for Bobby Darrin, touring with Judy Collins, going through his "suped up Beatles songs" era to meeting Gene and Michael Clark, David Crosby (a constant whiner!) to his long association with Chris Hillman.

He played songs associated with each of these eras including Leadbelly (Easter Morn), traditional folk, a lot of the Byrds (Turn, Turn, Turn, Mr. Tambourine Man, Eight Miles High, My Back Pages, Ballad of Easy Rider, It's Alright Ma, So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star) and several others.

He interspersed some amazing flat picking tunes that brought the house to its feet. I've never heard play like that before and it was impressive. He concluded the 90 minute show with May the Road Rise to Meet You, a tribute to his wife of many years Camilla.

Besides his trademark Rickenbacker 360/12, he played a beautiful Martin 12 string (probably a D-45 due to the ornamentation) and a very unique Martin HD7, a seven string guitar with a double G string. He explained that he likes to play lead along the G string and by having a double set of strings there he gets the "jingle jangle" effect of a 12 string but the ease of play of a 6. Whatever the reason both guitars sounded beautiful thru a very simple PA system.

This was almost the end of his current tour but if you ever get a chance to see this remarkable guitarist who has done a lot for folk music (see his new Folk Den Project), don't miss it! At 67 years old, although he looks about 45, he may not do too many more of these. It was a very fulfilling experience and a tribute to the guitar!

reiver

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Nice review Bear.
I'm off to see John Renbourn (with Jacqui McShee) later this month and I hope I enjoy it as much as you enjoyed Roger McGuinn. But I get nervous for people - I don't want them to let me (or themselves) down!

r

NKenny

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:46 pm

I saw Roger McGuinn last year at Bergen community college. It was in a very small theater, only held maybe 100 people, we sat right up front. It was the best concert I have ever been to.
Roger did the show just as you said took us through the years. What a talent he is, can't wait to see him again.

Kenny

BigBear

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:50 pm

reiver wrote:
Nice review Bear.
I'm off to see John Renbourn (with Jacqui McShee) later this month and I hope I enjoy it as much as you enjoyed Roger McGuinn. But I get nervous for people - I don't want them to let me (or themselves) down!

r

R- I'd go see Renbourne too! What a great concert! One of my favorite guitarists. Did you know there is a DVD of Renbourne and McShee in concert?

:cheer:

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:26 pm

Good review Rick, wish I had the opportunity to see him. I'm going to Fleetwood Mac in December so looking forward to Lindsay Buckingham, so look out for that review!

haoli25

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Using a flat pick and metal fingerpicks would be too much for me!

I would like to see him in concert.

Bill

:)

cosmicmechanic

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:54 pm

This thread lead me to discover a goldmine of intimate Roger McGuinn videos on YouTube.

Here is one that I found interesting:

pigpenz

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:57 pm

one of the articles I read once said that Roger owed alot of his success to when he was playing with Bobby Darin in the very early sixties.

Another great person to see is Chris Hillman very good on mandolin also and a little 12 string guitar also.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Chris Hillman live a few miles away from me in Thousand Oaks, Ca. I see him around quite a bit at some of the local gigs out here

BigBear

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:32 am

Sorry, I said Gene Hillman and of course it is Chris Hillman.

For any of you who want to see Roger's really unique Martin check this out!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic