Introduction To Netiquette

galsteien

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Sorry Matt u posted your msg as i was thunking mine up, if u wanna remove it and close thread i really dont mind (not that i cold do anything about it anyways, lol)

Mark

AndyT

Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:02 pm

I'm not looking for a debate. But I have been on the internet since before it was the internet. Back when it was DARPAnet run by the military and a few universities. There are a couple of things that are quite often overlooked in that type of article and I just wanted to offer up some proofreading and a few add-in comments.

With respect Matt, I think if the three of us have at it together, we are much more likely to produce a far more compelling and acceptable document.

AndyT

Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:06 pm

Mark,
This is not a set of rules to be used for correction of forum members. This is designed to be a 'common sense' document explaining how things should be done to prevent offending anyone in the first place. Unfortunately many people are lacking in common sense when it comes to behavior online. This is to help set some guidelines, nothing more.

If Matt wants to use it for more than that, then that is up to him.

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:06 pm

No worries Matt, I have just PM'd you a copy of one of the Rules. These are things most people could actually find for themselves. Its just that I've collated them and produced a series of these articles for NZ Police Training Journals. So they are definitely not offensive. Its a rather large collection approx 150 pages worth and not all currently electronic, hence the reason I ask first cos its a lot of work to retype for here.

BigBear

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:04 am

AndyT wrote:
I'm not looking for a debate. But I have been on the internet since before it was the internet. Back when it was DARPAnet run by the military and a few universities. There are a couple of things that are quite often overlooked in that type of article and I just wanted to offer up some proofreading and a few add-in comments.

With respect Matt, I think if the three of us have at it together, we are much more likely to produce a far more compelling and acceptable document.

Andy- I don't want a debate either but I'm wondering:

1. Is there currently a problem? If yes, go to #2. If not, round can it!

2. Do we really need another set of restrictions after Matt and crew just implemented the recent changes to the forum? I don't see the abuse requiring these "guidelines" aka rules.

I am philosophically opposed to anything that further limits members from participating in the forum with the caveat that politics, race and religion have no place on an internation guitar froum.

Just my 2 cents! :unsure:

tovo

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:10 am

BigBear wrote:

1. Is there currently a problem? If yes, go to #2. If not, round can it!

2. Do we really need another set of restrictions after Matt and crew just implemented the recent changes to the forum? I don't see the abuse requiring these "guidelines" aka rules.

I am philosophically opposed to anything that further limits members from participating in the forum with the caveat that politics, race and religion have no place on an internation guitar froum.

Just my 2 cents! :unsure:
I'm with Bear. I'm struggling to identify the problem that needs solving.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:57 am

Bear and tovo,

Relax no problems, its intended as an educational part of the forum for newbies to the Internet and to the site. Its intention is to provide advice and guidance on the vagaries of surfing the net. Its also intended to help people feel safe, with safe comes greater participation. Forums and messaging have different grammatical 'rules' which certain people know nothing of and can quite easily offend without knowing it. A good knowledge of netiquette can assist in the sharing of knowledge, they can make you look good online, they can help gain your respect. The whole gambit of the Net is different to how the Baby Boomer generation were taught about grammar and how to socially interact. Gen X and Y are more knowledgeable in this area and if we're not careful we'll get left behind. PLus you always have a choice if you don't wish to read a thread you simply don't, freedom of expression also allows a freedom of choice. This kind of stuff is taught at tertiary institutions nowadays and is fast becoming a curriculum topic. My original post cleary stated this is not to be confused with TG site rules but as an educational aid to assist people.

BigBear

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:16 am

Chas- is that like when Tony called me a "cheeky buggar"? ROFL! Or is it more like when you have this uncontrollable propensity to add letters to words like "flavour", "favourite", programme, etc?

I'm just kidding. If you think it's something we can use or we need, go for it! I am always looking for new ways to offend my new friends! It comes from living in the woods! It's late and I'm getting goofy!! :silly:

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:30 am

BigBear wrote:
Chas- is that like when Tony called me a "cheeky buggar"? ROFL! Or is it more like when you have this uncontrollable propensity to add letters to words like "flavour", "favourite", programme, etc?

I'm just kidding. If you think it's something we can use or we need, go for it! I am always looking for new ways to offend my new friends! It comes from living in the woods! It's late and I'm getting goofy!! :silly:
This topic is becoming a business and some companies pay big bucks, i'm offering it free! Who's goofy is that a new TG member?

galsteien

Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:51 am

Uh oh, im hearing words like "business", "big bucks" and "offering it free" sounds like some one is making us an offer we cant understand , if the Niel's pool suddenly gets filled with fishes and people start kissing each other on the cheeck im gonna get a worried!

ROFLMAO

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic