hey all Acoustic Genius Series Part 3 now available for Target Members

TGMatt

Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:11 pm

Here is the next series of lessons (5 in all) that take you through the minor Scales & Patterns..

As always you will find it under Target lessons and the Acoustic Genius series..

Happy to hear your feedback..this should keep you all occupied for a while

Cheers

Matt

Overview

Building Blocks – Fundamentals III explores Minor Scales and Patterns. It includes an explanation of the Natural Minor Scale, how to play common ones in 1st position, a couple of patterns to use for lead playing up the neck, then goes over the Harmonic Minor Scale and the Melodic Minor Scale.

Chapter 1: Minor Scales I

Chapter 1 explains how a Minor Scale is formed, using the sequence of natural notes starting on A, in the same manor that a Major Scale starts on C. Two common scales in 1st position are demonstrated- A Minor and E Minor.

Chapter 2: Minor Scales II

Chapter 2 continues looking at common Minor Scales played in 1st position. The two scales are D Minor and B Minor. This chapter also introduces the relationship of Relative Major and Minor Scales.

Chapter 3: Minor Scales III

Neil goes over the remaining Minor Scales commonly played in 1st position, and how they are connected to their Relative Major Scales.

Chapter 4: Minor Scales IV

Chapter 4 takes the Natural Minor Scale and expands it into patterns that can be played up the neck and used to construct leads. Two patterns are presented, one starting on the 6th string and one starting on the 5th string.

Chapter 5: Minor Scales V

This chapter explains how the Natural Minor Scale is altered to create its two counterparts- the Harmonic Minor Scale and the Melodic Minor Scale. The three scales are compared and the lesson includes examples of their use in the Bourree In E Minor, by J. S. Bach.

rcsnydley

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:14 am

I just watched video I and was very impressed. It's great to see this material presented in this form and how it looks and plays on the guitar.

Thanks.

Ric

haoli25

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:36 am

This is a MUST SEE lesson. Great job Neil.

Bill

Music Junkie

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:29 am

Neil and TG Staff: Thanks so much for these lessons you are posting. I had learned some of this stuff when I first started, but had gotten away from it and just kept pushing it away, as I had no real direction on it. These are wonderful videos and I am having fun with theory again. I really appreciate your time in getting these up for us!

MJ

dtaylor

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:13 pm

I am really keen to increase my knowledge of theory and will persevere with the lessons; while I appreciate the effort to make the site a resource covering all aspects of music, I think the intrinsic value of online instruction is that it is a visual medium. These lessons could be made so much more effective with visual aids to support the explanation of some of the more arcane aspects of theory.

Chasplaya

Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:16 am

dtaylor wrote:
I am really keen to increase my knowledge of theory and will persevere with the lessons; while I appreciate the effort to make the site a resource covering all aspects of music, I think the intrinsic value of online instruction is that it is a visual medium. These lessons could be made so much more effective with visual aids to support the explanation of some of the more arcane aspects of theory.
In learning you endeavour to satisfy the senses by varying approach, i.e. VAK = Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic, Neil easily manages this with the first 2, the third is where you need to follow with your own guitar. Therefore, unless your a student of the 'proprioception', 'interoception', and 'exteroception' theorys then I'm not sure where you are coming from. I would be interested in your thought how this could be improved, also in training to use the real thing is by far the best approach, Neil uses his guitar so again I am wondering what angle you would like to see these lessons come from. Feedback is also a huge part of training therefore I am sure your thoughts on this will be welcomed.

regards

Chas

dtaylor

Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:00 am

As a visual learner a means to understanding what is being said about the scales and the differences between Major - Minor, Harmonic - Melodic etc I thing some simple visual representations of the fingerboard annotated with note numbers and names, used in conjunction with the commentary, would go a long way to facilitating my learning and memorising of a lot of information which, for my tiny brain, is at the moment too much to absorb. One can always get the pen and paper out I guess...

Chasplaya

Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:06 am

dtaylor wrote:
As a visual learner a means to understanding what is being said about the scales and the differences between Major - Minor, Harmonic - Melodic etc I thing some simple visual representations of the fingerboard annotated with note numbers and names, used in conjunction with the commentary, would go a long way to facilitating my learning and memorising of a lot of information which, for my tiny brain, is at the moment too much to absorb. One can always get the pen and paper out I guess...
I understand where you are coming from, but it was in the Newsletter (I think)Neil mentioned he would not be doing the PDF tabs which would satisfy at least partially what you are talking about, but he went on to say he felt the members would also learn if they did just that use pen and paper which is another law of learning being brought into pratice ,that of repetition i.e. we repeat by writing out what we hear.

Music Junkie

Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:46 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
dtaylor wrote:
I understand where you are coming from, but it was in the Newsletter (I think)Neil mentioned he would not be doing the PDF tabs which would satisfy at least partially what you are talking about, but he went on to say he felt the members would also learn if they did just that use pen and paper which is another law of learning being brought into pratice ,that of repetition i.e. we repeat by writing out what we hear.
Chas: Good point! I struggled with scales to some extent at first. However, when I took the time to actually write them out for myself (time consuming), it started to click much more for me.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic