New (to me) instruments

cabro

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:45 am

So a month or two ago, succumbing to pressure from an old friend, I joined one of those social networking sites. Apparently more than a few people had been waiting for me to do just that since within a week or so I had a bunch of people that I hadn't seen/talked to in years "knocking om my door". One of those people, a young woman, (at least she was young the last time I saw her) told me she had a musical instrument that needed a home and asked if I would be interested. She said it needed some work but all the parts were there. I asked her what it was and she replied that she didn't really know. My curiosity was piqued since she is no stranger to music or instruments having been part of a local music "scene" as a regular patron of live, original music. Arrangements were made and the mystery instrument was sent along via a mutual friend. Imagine my surprise when I opened the case and found a mandolin banjo, between 60 and maybe 80 years old, no name, and in pieces. Everything appears to be there except the bridge. Also, unbeknownst to me, she also sent along a 15 chord autoharp that hadn't been played or tuned in at least 18 years. After 2 days and many hours, the autoharp is in tune and playable. The mando-banjo however, is a long way away from being playable. Sorry if I rambled. I just wanted to share with some folks that might appreciate my new found fortune.

Chris

reiver

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:08 am

Looking forward to your version of Old Man, including the banjo part... ;)

r

cabro

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:08 am

reiver wrote:
Looking forward to your version of Old Man, including the banjo part... ;)

r
It's actually a mandolin with a banjo body. No "Old Man".

Catman

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:34 am

And I was going to request Dueling Banjos :(

Are you going to restore the banjolin?

haoli25

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Chris, it would probably worth your time to find a luthier that specializes in vintage instruments and get both an estimate for repair and an appraisal of the value of the instruments. You never know if you have just a conversation piece or a true collectors item.

Bill

AndyT

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:41 pm

My uncle played an autoharp all the time when we were kids. I really loved the sound of it. Once you get it in shape with new strings you will have a gem on your hands.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Interesting stuff Chris... keep us posted on how the bajalino turns out....here's June Carter Cash playing an Autoharp:

haoli25

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:27 pm

I liked the view of the broken string at :51. :laugh:

Bill

cabro

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Firstly, since I have been corrected, it's not a banjolin. That instrument has only four strings and is basically the same as a soprano banjo. This little jewel has eight strings. Yes I plan on restoring it to playing shape if at all possible. I promised the friend that gave it to me that I would try to fix it up and learn to play it, whatever it was. Bill, I'm with you on the estimate and appraisal. It appears to be basically intact with the exception of the bridge although there are an awful lot of parts in the case. I have only a passing familiarity with the banjo but I saw a photo of a mando-banjo and it had a Remo head on it and most of the stuff loose in the case looks like drum parts. I'll keep you all posted.

Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic