Pop-Up Ads

BigBear

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:26 am

My computer, on the forum posting page, keeps showing words that are highlighted in green with double underlines. Passing over these words causes a very annoying, non-music related, pop-up ad to occur. Plus they really break up the flow of the message because it looks like I meant to highlight or emphasize these words.

Is my computer doing this or is this something that TG has started? I allow pop-ups on the TG site because I think I need them to open lessons but can I turn these terrible ads off with a pop-up blocker?

Please make it stop!! Is anyone/everyone having this problem?

Thanks! :unsure:

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:30 am

No problem here Bear with the pop ups... I think I have firefox set up to block pop ups.

AcousticAl

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 am

All clear here too. Maybe your browser was updated and defaulted to a new setting?

daryl

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:35 am

I don't know for sure, but this sounds like a "helpful" :S plugin for your browser. I'm not seeing that either, and I use both a PC (work) and Mac (home).

What browser are you using? There should be an interface for looking at your plug-ins/additions and selectively deleting them. It may be trial and error to find the offending plug-in, but perhaps the pop-up your getting will be a clue as to which plug-in is making it happen.

I wonder if some website you went to gave you this plug in -- gotta be careful where you put your pointer, I guess! ;)

michelew

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:36 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
No problem here Bear with the pop ups... I think I have firefox set up to block pop ups.
I don't think this is in play, actually -- because of work requirements, my FF browser allows pop-ups and this isn't happening for me... I suspect some new plug-in.

TGMatt

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:37 am

We Have no popup ads on TG I can assure you of that..

I think your browser is doing this...and a way fo rthem to try and squeeze ad dollars out..

Any ads we do will be related to TG and what we do...

BigBear

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll work on it from this end!

:cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:18 pm

I declined in the great advert debate... I'd just like to say, now after experiencing the fact, that they are absolutely acceptable and totally non-intrusive.

AndyT

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:24 pm

If you installed 'Bing' then you will have this problem along with a couple of other 'helper' add ons to your browser. They are really bad and the only way to get rid of them is to uninstall the add on.

Because of that and some other things (monitoring devices and the like) I am very careful of what I allow on my machine.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:45 pm

AndyT wrote:
If you installed 'Bing' then you will have this problem along with a couple of other 'helper' add ons to your browser. They are really bad and the only way to get rid of them is to uninstall the add on.

Because of that and some other things (monitoring devices and the like) I am very careful of what I allow on my machine.
AAAk! I should've guessed it was a "helpful" Microsoft add on ... :S

(From the creators of "Hi! I'm a googly-eyed paper clip! Looks like you want to scratch your nose! Can I help?!?")

Yuck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic