Positive Mental Attitude

mmmbldo

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:29 am

Just another small note that ties in with what Chris and Matt said. I believe exercise is recognized as a natural way to increase seratonin and is recommended to help people improve their mood. I don't think this is regarded as something that will make a major difference in itself but as another tool to add to your other approaches.

BigBear

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:23 pm

Joe- I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch. I can completely relate to the feeling of not wanting to do anything, especially play the guitar. There has been some amazing advice offered so far, certainly more than I can digest in one sitting do I'll offer one simple piece of advice.

When you are feeling overwhelmed, give yourself some mental holidays. Don't focus on learning new songs if you aren't up for it. Just play songs that you enjoy and can play well. I find the effort necessary to play the guitar takes all my concentration leaving no room for dwelling on my problems.

Frankly, this doesn't always work and sometimes you just have to put down your guitar for awhile. But if you approach your music as a gift to yourself it can go along way toward overcoming those gray English autumns and winters.

I lied. I have two pieces of advice. The other is to get outside whenever the sun shines and get some vitamin D which is known to lift your mood.

Good luck Joe. You are not alone and we all care about you! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:22 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
This isn't very profound, but I am not a naturally upbeat, energetic person either, and it is sometimes helpful to me. Hope it will be of some benefit to you.
That is spot on and top notch advice, mmmbldo! Setting goals will get you focussed and moving and motivated. And if you have to eat an elephant, it's better to cut it into small portions and eat a bit at a time and not look at the big picture!
Good solid advice from mmmbldo and Chris, taking this a step further, begin with goals that you know are attainable even if they seem sill at first, and the duration of these goals is within site i.e. a week away, make a serious of progressive ones that compliment each other, make them not just for work but for play to, even housework, or things you are going to say every day to family i.e. 'I'm going to find a different compliment for my wife each day! over the next week'

Make sure goals are

S Specific
M Measurable
A Attainable
R Relevant
T Time-bound
E Evaluate
R Reevaluate

Hope all this advice from all the guys helps mate.

Chas :)

AndyT

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:58 pm

There is some really solid advice here.

Exercise
Eat properly
Take problems in bite sized chunks
Push yourself past the blah barrier
Get medical help if needed

Hmmm...

When you set your goals, what are you really expecting? If you say, 'In one week I will be able to play this song.' are you expecting to play it as well as Neil does? Is your goal realistic? This is a real killer for many people and they don't even realize it. They think, I'll just set a small goal for myself. something like 'By the end of today, I want to be able to play this riff.' And they make it but don't count it because its not perfect.Make your goals realistic.
===================================

Do you have a reason for doing what you are doing? Is there an underlying motivation for doing it? Why are you after this? These 3 questions are actually 'spiritual' questions. Many people mistake them for 'motivational' style questions but that mistake can cost you the ability to answer them properly.

Every person breathing needs a reason to live. Its what keeps us going day in and day out. For many people its chasing money. For others, its fame, for some glory, for all of us, its what we sink our energy into. Where are you spending all of your energy? What is your passion? Once you know and understand that, then ask yourself why it is your underlying drive. Is it a real reason for living or is it just something cool to chase.

There comes a point where we begin to realize that the less self-centered our passion, the easier it is to attain and the stronger it grows in our lives. We begin to lose the doldrums and we get to a state where they no longer affect us as much. We lift ourselves out of the rut and begin climbing the mountain. Its a very natural process for us because we were created to do it that way.

There will always be days where you feel like not going for it, but its OK to take a day off every week, and a week or two each year. We have to recharge our batteries somehow. The flip side is that if you never go after it, you will develop the habit of not doing anything and that can be mental suicide. You have to do something. 'Just do it' is actually really good advice.

If you're lacking that certain something in your life to strive for and have no idea what it might be, then may I suggest God. There is no greater non-self-centered anything in existance. There are literally millions of ways you can pursue it and the rewards are greater than anything 'worldly'.

My point here is not to convert, or recruit you into a church. My aim is to give you an alternative answer to the problem you describe. Its something to consider.

AndyT

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:03 pm

And a bit of comedy relief,

I positively have a mental attitude.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:54 pm

Told you so!
Months back.
I called this site Totally Supportive Totally Guitars.
See!

Oh, you may have a headache after reading all the great advice Joe.
Er, what was the initial problem, again? ;-) I know you're laughing! Best medicine.

haoli25

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Joe, there is really nothing I can add to the great advice that has already been offered. Know this, my friend, there are many people here on TG that care about you and want to see you do well. For me, there has always been some good therapy in my guitars. Be well.

Bill

tovo

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:09 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Joe, there is really nothing I can add to the great advice that has already been offered. Know this, my friend, there are many people here on TG that care about you and want to see you do well. For me, there has always been some good therapy in my guitars. Be well.

Bill
As usual I agree with Bill's sentiments. I don't have any real value to add here Joe but want to join with Bill and everyone else in wishing you well.

AndyT

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Joe... and Everybody,

Play the guitar for at least 5 minutes EVERY DAY! It will lead to solutions.

Anon

TGMatt

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:48 pm

Neil wrote:
Joe... and Everybody,

Play the guitar for at least 5 minutes EVERY DAY! It will lead to solutions.

Anon
Yep I said that as step 10 !!!

but maybe for more than 10 minutes..I also mentioned the forum, the live show , the community .....and play for more than 5 minutes ..

Oh shit better take my own advice..

Neil get back to work ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic