Lets hear what your occupation is ...

flyfish1

Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:18 am

What a great mixture of occupations all sharing a common interest.
As for me, I'm an entomologist working as a food safety technologist. It's amazing what's out there if you just take the time to look.

flyfish1

jim56

Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:58 am

flyfish1 wrote:
What a great mixture of occupations all sharing a common interest.
As for me, I'm an entomologist working as a food safety technologist. It's amazing what's out there if you just take the time to look.

flyfish1
flyfish1, is a food safety technologist like a health inspector?

I work in a local government Health Department, Environmental Health Division as a HazMat Tech. I did food establishment inspections, well,septic and pool inspections, child care and solid waste inspections. Had a couple Entomology courses at UNL and received my BS in Environmental Health. Currently respond to Hazardous Materials calls with the Fire and Police Departments, things like fuel releases, suspicious packages and white powders in envelopes.

Just now finishing an Associates Degree in Computer Information Technology after taking one course an evening for the last 6 years.

Be Well,

Jim

mattroutley

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:31 am

I'm a bricklayer! way less glamorous than most of the job titles on here but it pays the bills and i like it, for 9 months of the year (you can have december, january and february back tho!)

i'm also a husband and a father so i dont have loads of spare time but the little i have is taken up by Surfing, Guitar and Ju-jitsu :)

I've loved reading what you guys all do; there are some seriously interesting people on this site!!

Matt

aitch

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:45 am

I'm a process engineer for a company headquartered in upstate South Carolina that manufactures small electronic capacitors. I've been working there for close to 17 years. We received a $15M government grant through through part of the recent economic stimulus package to begin producing large batteries, etc for hybrid/electric automobiles and possibly other electronics used in windmills. I'm hoping to get moved into this new development soon.

bobsaxon

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Namaste everyone. I'm new to TotallyGuitars. I find the website incredibly complete and my interest in music/songs is very similar to Neil's.

My parents bought me a $35 guitar from Mexico in 1965, and I've been plucking away ever since. From watching some of you play on the student videos and Neil's description, I guess I'm about at the advanced intermediate level.

I grew up in southern California and spent most of my adult life in Riverside (smog city). I couldn't handle the pollution anymore and left in 1992. Since then I've lived in Oregon for 6+ years, Utah for 1+ years, and Fort Bragg (northern coast of California) for 9+ years now. It's crisp and clean here, very little traffic, and I love it.

I teach at-risk teens in an alternative high school - computers, financial literacy, math, and p.e. Most of my students come from extremely dysfunctional homes and they need a lot of TLC and encouragment.

I have a 14-year old autistic son who was very sick for 8 years - he's now doing much better and is in school. As a result of his illness, my wife developed PTSD and fibromyalgia. So much of my time is spent at home with my family. It's a challenging task, but I've accepted it as my path for now. My biggest pleasure right now is playing my guitar, and this website is helping to re-energize me to learn new songs and techniques.

The photo is of me and my son Toby at MacKerricher Park on the Mendocino Coast. Image

leeson

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:21 pm

I am a Family Doc in New Mexico. I started playing guitar in college and then put it down for 10 years while my profession consumed all my time. Now I have picked it up again and I am trying to play every day even if only for a few minutes. Thank You TG!!

Bill

Music Junkie

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:27 pm

mattroutley wrote:
I'm a bricklayer! way less glamorous than most of the job titles on here but it pays the bills and i like it, for 9 months of the year (you can have december, january and february back tho!)

i'm also a husband and a father so i dont have loads of spare time but the little i have is taken up by Surfing, Guitar and Ju-jitsu :)

I've loved reading what you guys all do; there are some seriously interesting people on this site!!

Matt
Matt:

I lugged 5-gal buckets of mud for a bricklayer one summer as a kid. Got paid $15.00hr as a 16yr old back in 1986. Was great money at that time. The work about freakin' killed me though. By the end of the day my arms felt like they would fall off...lol Had to lug them up a ladder non-stop. I have since done some work around my house with masonry, and find it quite fun. I just make my sons lug the mud now...lol

Music Junkie

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:31 pm

bobsaxon wrote:
Namaste everyone. I'm new to TotallyGuitars. I find the website incredibly complete and my interest in music/songs is very similar to Neil's.

My parents bought me a $35 guitar from Mexico in 1965, and I've been plucking away ever since. From watching some of you play on the student videos and Neil's description, I guess I'm about at the advanced intermediate level.

I grew up in southern California and spent most of my adult life in Riverside (smog city). I couldn't handle the pollution anymore and left in 1992. Since then I've lived in Oregon for 6+ years, Utah for 1+ years, and Fort Bragg (northern coast of California) for 9+ years now. It's crisp and clean here, very little traffic, and I love it.

I teach at-risk teens in an alternative high school - computers, financial literacy, math, and p.e. Most of my students come from extremely dysfunctional homes and they need a lot of TLC and encouragment.

I have a 14-year old autistic son who was very sick for 8 years - he's now doing much better and is in school. As a result of his illness, my wife developed PTSD and fibromyalgia. So much of my time is spent at home with my family. It's a challenging task, but I've accepted it as my path for now. My biggest pleasure right now is playing my guitar, and this website is helping to re-energize me to learn new songs and techniques.

The photo is of me and my son Toby at MacKerricher Park on the Mendocino Coast. Image
Bob:

You are in prime Microbrew territory up there. A bunch of us from college rented a big house on the beach up there in Mendocino several years ago. Beautiful country up there. Mendocino Brewing Co. was a wonderful place! I am very glad that you found this site and that you get some guitar therapy. I admire your strength! Kudos to you and karma on the way for being a stand-up dude!

MJ

Music Junkie

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:34 pm

leeson wrote:
I am a Family Doc in New Mexico. I started playing guitar in college and then put it down for 10 years while my profession consumed all my time. Now I have picked it up again and I am trying to play every day even if only for a few minutes. Thank You TG!!

Bill
Leeson:

Where abouts in New Mexico? We took a family trip to throughout the SW US last summer and spent a week with family up in MW New Mexico. I had never experienced New Mexico before that trip, but thoroughly enjoyed the desert. We were there during some amazing thunderstorms. Saw some beautiful country.

MJ

steve36

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm a rehab assistant working with people (in their homes) with visual and hearing impairments
Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic