Lets hear what your occupation is ...

ncsurfer

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:05 pm

suuziko, I am 100% behind you as a Mom and applaud your priorities.

When asked what I do the first answer is always that I am a Dad and a husband. Unfortunately my first career demanded too much of my time and energy to be good at both. I recognized that and decided to do something about it instead of just talking about it. Through the goodwill of my family, a dose of luck, and a large measure of hard work I decided several years ago to change my job circumstances and rebuild. Although I walked away from an expense account,travel and a high level position, I also walked away from the stress and insane hours and have never looked back. My pay is a third (or less) of what it was but I am 1000% happier. I now work in Nuclear Medicine at the local hospital and have gained a sense of importance in my occupation. Helping people in need is more rewarding than I can express here.

I am rediscovering the right side of my brain and playing the guitar is helping me find the person I was before corporate america blinded my senses. Music has always been my personal therapy and TG is enabling me to become the person I thought I would be.

To me, this is about much more than just playing guitar.

Sorry for the droning, back to the music.....

nmu28

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:18 pm

I sell ambulances and fire trucks in the state of Michigan. Just starting to learn the guitar!

__m__

Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:03 pm

Well, this really has to be divided into two areas for me.

I currently own and operate a small business, Exterior Transformations Inc here in SW Missouri. We do exterior residential work including siding, soffit, fascia, seamless gutters, roofs, decks, etc; and range from 700 sqft homes to large custom builds, Victorian Restorations, to apartment complexes. We specialize in remodels, but do a fair share of new construction as well. Currently working on a 5,000 sqft custom new home with a $60,000 dollar exterior (not brick :huh: ).

On the other side, been in the Missouri National Guard for almost 9 years. I went to Iraq for 14 months at the start of the war as a young soldier, and recently completed a 10 month tour to Kosovo as a Staff Sergeant. Been an Engineer for most of that time (construction combat heavy), and Infantry for the last 2 years.

BigBear

Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Rather than hijack this fascinating thread could I ask all you new members, who haven't done so already, to go over to the Please Introduce Youself thread, start a new thread, and tell us a little more about yourself? Where you live, how old you are, your musical tastes, what you think your ability level is with the guitar etc?

As you can see, we are a close knit group of very different people from all over the world with a common love of the guitar and music and we really enjoy getting to know each other through this introduction and discussions on the forum!

I'll ask our old-time members to resist welcoming our new members until they post over on the other thread.

Thanks everyone!!

Cheers! :cheer:

musicrevisited

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm currently a freshman in college, dual majoring in "Psychology" and "Animal Behavior, Ecology and Conservation". My only job so far was a summer internship at a veterinary clinic so you've all got a lot of experience on me. All I know is that I want to work with animals. On the music side of life, if I ever get good enough at guitar, I'd love to record an album. I always take time out of the week to sit down and write something along the lines of poetry and dream of that eventually taking me somewhere.

michelew

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:15 am

Wow - what a diverse group of people - its great to hear what you folk do for a crust.

I'm a Chemical Engineer by training and worked in several industries, mostly the chemical industry, before joining the EPA (Environment Protection Authority for my State, NSW - here in Australia). For the last 15 years I've been an environmental regulator, project manager and policy developer. My Department's name has changed many times, but is now the equivalent of the Department of Environment.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:27 am

I've had varied jobs way back when, from factory worker to window-dresser, and I've even been a (lovable :S ) parking-ticket giver.

I now have a degree in software engineering and work for a municipal government in the field of GIS, or "Geographical Information Systems", which is basically the intersection of old-fashioned maps and new-fangled databases.

Simply put, I make data about a geographical area available on a computer screen and develop tools that allow users to access the information corresponding to their needs.

I am also an indentured servant to my wife who runs a daycare service (wink to Suziko) in our home. Keeping the kids' environment functional and safe is work! I find that children give me energy if I can interact with them mornings before leaving for work ... so what if they get grouchy later when I'm not around? :side:

quincy451

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:00 am

Dennis (in Seattle): Interesting life.
Me I started on a journey that started as a junior in high school 1980. I took a course in computer programming. I was hooked. But how to get employment doing this. And how to get get damn good at it.

Off to college I went. I got a B.S. in computer science. Went to work doing process control software. Loved the work, but hated the hours and the fact the rest of the team was shipping a trash product. So I bailed on that after 6 months. Why stick around a loosing horse.

I went back to school and got my M.S. in computer science. Figured to go into teaching and become a professor. I got some part time work teaching but nothing full time ever opened up for me. At the time I could not figure out why. Now it is obvious. My verbal skills where never cut out for presentations.

So I went to work after the masters degree doing telephony software. I figured it would be an experience that would go bust in about 6 months. Well, it didn't work out that way. I worked at that company for 2 and half years. Then the political in fighting with the other programmers did me in. I was fired. Framed as incompetent.

So then I went to work consulting full time in telephony. I did this for a couple years. Then I went to work full time for a company in Dallas. I worked remotely for them from California for about 10 years.
Then they got the dot.com boom in there blood and wanted to be acquired.
Only problem is the president was knocking down. The product was a demo for which they wanted to sell. Not the one that had paid the bills for 10 years. The one I wrote. So they went up in smoke.

Then I went to work for a company in South America doing telephony consulting. It was a interesting opportunity. The year was 2002 and I was sitting in Dallas, I had moved to dallas from California by then and gotten engaged, I was writing brooktrout DOS telephony code. Nobody else wanted to do it. Me I was looking at unemployment so...ok I will do this. Brooktrout didn't even want to support there product.
So I did this for a about a year.

Then I want to work for a company in Dallas doing telephony software development while doing some consulting on the side. Not sure what the future holds. The side work might outgrow the regular work. The transition to VOIP is proving a painful one. People with the money think oh...open source...means free product...no support fees. Reality is a little different. But that is what I am doing when I am not playing guitar. Which is something I very much enjoy for relaxation.

Catman

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:40 am

I am a computer engineer with a joint Electrical Engineering and Computer Science degree from the Technion (Israel Institute of Technology) in Haifa, Israel. I've been working in that profession ever since--22 years now. Lately I've been designing chips for set-top-boxes. Before that I was in the army for 4 years.

My next career will be to own and operate a cat kennel.

Hobbies are mountain biking, reading, and guitar. An ex-passion is motorbikes, but I had to choose between that and being driven crazy by my wife.

David

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:24 am

My turn!

Most of you know that I'm a shooter/editor. I do mostly corporate communications (video news releases, messages from the president etc.) I do a lot of pharmaceutical videos as well.

One niche that I have developed is going onsite with companies when they're doing a product launch or have a sales conference over several days..

My partner and I will shoot all the highlights and edit it together onsite (in my hotel room) to music. Picture a kind of high energy corporate music video. Then they play it back to close their conference on a high note. You know- rah, rah, don't we work for a great company- let's sell more blah blah. (sorry- I've done so many of those videos that I'm jaded).

One good thing about that kind of gig is that I obviously need to be with the conference- wherever it takes place. I've been all over the world doing it. All over Canada, many Caribbean islands, many parts of the States, Mexico, Vienna, Istanbul, Rome. I do a job on a cruise ship every January as well- you won't see much of me on here in January, unfortunately. I've been very lucky and have seen a lot of places that I never would have seen otherwise.

What I like about being freelance is that I never know what I'll be doing week to week. I could be shooting a boring conference one week.. and up in a helicopter the next! Keeps it interesting, that's for sure.

Anyways, when shooting and editing gets slow, I also do sound when needed, as well as teleprompting. I'm kept pretty busy between those 4 jobs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic