If you were asked to recommend 3 books....

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:50 am

If you were asked to recommend 3 books you have read to your TG friends, which books would they be? Tell us briefly why.

Here's my 3:
How the Mind Works by Steven pinker
If you have ever wanted to know how you and other human beings function and get a look at your own hard-wiring, this is for you. I learned more in this book that from any other book I have ever read.

Life and How to Survive It
by John Cleese and Robin Skynner
This book is written as a conversation between Monty Python's John Cleese and his psychiatrist. It is the first book I found that explains human psychology in terms of what is healthy behaviour (as against what's unhealthy or just plain wacko behaviour, leaving you to wonder what, then would be healthy). Very witty.

Everything I needed to Know I learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum
Light and profound at the same time. Love Fulghum's books.

Any one of these books would make a great stocking filler if you're still looking for Christmas presents or want to suggest one you'd like to receive ;-).

PS: Here's a little stocking filler from me to you, a free e-book by Seth Godin:
http://sethgodin.typepad.com/files/what ... -now-1.pdf

Catman

Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:23 am

My recommendations are

1. Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, by Douglas Hofstadter.
"...the book is a detailed and subtle exposition of concepts fundamental to mathematics, symmetry, and intelligence.

Through illustration and analysis, the book discusses how self-reference and formal rules allow systems to acquire meaning despite being made of "meaningless" elements. It also discusses what it means to communicate, how knowledge can be represented and stored, the methods and limitations of symbolic representation, and even the fundamental notion of "meaning" itself."

2. The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality, by Brian Greene.
This is a book on modern theoretical physics, cosmology, and string theory. And no, you don't need any mathematical or physics background to read it.

3. If you like SF (speculative fiction), then Anathem, by Neal Stephenson.
This book is a rare combination of space-opera, historical perspective, and cultural speculation, and is witty to boot.

Max

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:17 pm

OK, I'll chime in

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson.
If you grew up during the 50's this will have you rolling on the floor.

Outliers, the 10,000 hour rule by Malcolm Gladwell.
This book will shed some light as to what it will take to play like your guitar heros.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
This is probably a very relevant book once again. It take a look at what can happen when a government increasingly asserts control over all industry. Which could be pertinent to our current economic state with the bailouts to banking & automobile industries

Chasplaya

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:32 pm

Nobody said I had to read as well when I joined this site !! :silly:

Not in any order, but most musicians biographies, Felder and Clapton are the latest, then I guess novels by Robert Ludlum/Wilbur Smith, lastly Malcolm Knowles book on Adult Learning.

TGMatt

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:43 pm

Only 3 ??...aghhhhhhhhhhhh

I will have to conjugate on this some..

Jim Rohn who died recently and a gentleman I did a blog post on (Americas Business Philosopher) stated that the only difference between yourself and someone else for success is The people you spend time with, the things you habitually do and the books that you read...and another one of my mentors Brian Tracy said he bought books to fill his library, many many more than he could ever read, but just by having them he felt smarter...

I took that to heart and have been reading and buying books at a prodigious pace ever since..To help my learning pace I went and took 2 speed reading courses and then did a photo-reading seminar (different philosophy and process)...I even set goals for reading at least a book a week..I don't always reach my target but I always have a stack by my bed to wade through..so Ill put some thought to it..

Here are a couple I am currently oscillating between

Malcolm Gladwell - What the Dog saw
Robert Prechter - Conquer the crash
David Wolfe - Longevity Now

I will post my stuck on a desert island 3 after some contemplation ..

Probably one of the shortest and most relevant ones I read recently was The last Lecture by Randy Pauche --

Great Post Chris

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Another very tough question, but a great one.

1. Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan - Hard science fiction by a truly wonderful author

2. Shibumi by Trevanian - he also authored "The Eiger Sanction" this is a great book with very interesting characters.

3. Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auld - very moving story about early humans. Placed at about 35,000 - 40,000 years ago. There are also four more books in the series with one more due out at an undetermined date.

MJ

:)

beaker

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Well, here are three of my my favourite books. Don't expect any great revelations because all of these are quite well known and I am sure many of you have enjoyed them as well.

I. Siddartha -Herman Hesse. Awesome book. Especially cool to remember it was written in 1922!
2. A Fine Balance- Rohinton Mistry. I have read it twice and it had just as much impact both times.
3. Chronicles Volume 1. - Bob Dylan. He can write great songs, and books too! I can't wait for future volumes.

Beaker.

BigBear

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:11 pm

My three recommendations, in order:

1. Holy Bible Despite it's obvious religious theme, it is a great series of stories that teach of man's struggle to overcome evil and how to live a better life and be better people. Even for non-believers it is an awesome statement of the human condition and the opportunity to create a better, more fulfilling life. The most read and published book of all time. Not an easy weekend read!

2. The Lord of the Rings- The Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien- Fantastic story on so many levels. Combines ancient Norse, English, Finnish and Christian themes into the greatest fantasy story of all time and the template for all fantasy stories that have come after it. Spawned agruably the greatest movies of all time.

3. The Prophet by Khalil Gibran. A series of essays told in parable form to a group of listeners before the prophet leaves them to return to his world. This book really struck a chord with me with it's gentle, thoughtful combination of Eastern mysticism and outstanding storytelling. I've read it a dozen times and I've never failed to learn something new.

Chris- It's tough to limit the choices to just three! Much harder than say picking the three best songs of all time or is that next?

Cheers! :cheer:

suziko

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:16 pm

Tough question, Chris! I guess I'll go with:

1.A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again- David Foster Wallace- A collection of essays on subjects ranging from the world of pro tennis to the Illinois State Fair. David Foster Wallace was one of the most talented and innovative writers of his generation. His writing is both brilliant and laugh-out-loud funny. After dealing with years of depression, Wallace killed himself about a year ago. I never thought I'd be so saddened by the death of someone I'd never met.

2. American Gods- Neil Gaiman- a really fun read, peppered with about a zillion different gods from all different world mythologies.

3. The Power of Babel- John McWhorter- Linguist McWhorter looks at world languages and how they develop over the course of time. McWhorter writes for the lay-person, so even someone with no formal education in linguistics would find this book totally accesible. Plus, McWhorter is super funny.

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:35 pm

suziko wrote:
Tough question, Chris! I guess I'll go with:

1.A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again- David Foster Wallace

2. American Gods- Neil Gaiman

3. The Power of Babel- John McWhorter
Suzi:

I read American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Strange, but good book. Have you read any of his other stuff??? I just finished the Anansi Boys book and it was odd...... I did enjoy Neverwhere though.... Guy is a good writer, but he may be a mentally disturbed.....lol You know, since I am so stable.....lol

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic