If you were asked to recommend 3 books....

suziko

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:29 pm

I read Anansi Boys, too, but didn't like it nearly as well as American Gods. I've read pretty much everything Gaiman has written (I haven't read all of the Sandman comics, but that's about it) and I do like his writing. But, yeah, I'd say he definitely has an "unusual" way of looking at the world!

AndyT

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Hmmm... Bear took 2 of my choices.

1. The Holy Bible. Of course you know this one is number 1 on my list. For all the reasons Bear listed and so many more. Non-Fiction

2. The Shack. by William P. Young. A really great book that has sound theology but gives a whole new perspective on God and how He speaks to us. Fiction.

3. The Lensman series. By E.E. 'Doc' Smith. A great rollickin' space fantasy adventure series. Nothing but fun and entertainment. Fiction

cabro

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:01 pm

I can't do just 3. How about 3 authors? J.R.R. Tolkien, Terry Pratchett, and (tie, I can't even do 3 authors) John Steinbeck and Robert Jordan.

temo44

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:49 pm

1: Tokyo
2: Wheel of Time
3: Lord of the Rings

Tokyo was the first book I ever read in English! I really liked it a lot... Anyone read it too?

goldleaf

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Wow! Way too high brow for me...I was starting my list off with something from the Hardy Boy's collection.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Great stuff guys and girls keep them coming! Some good recommended reading for the holidays there. Wandoctor.... let's just have a few beers and a jam session, beats most books I know! :-)

Chasplaya

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:54 am

As an aside to this the best selling book in NZ is a cookbook!! Not the Bible as most would believe. The Edmonds cookbook has outsold any other book since it was introduced in 1907. It is now a NZ icon.

Music Junkie

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:10 am

There are some great leads here! I have read all of the Tolkien books as well, and found them fascinating! As a kid, I was exposed to "The Hobbit" first. We watched it in school over a period of two days. I think the film came out in 1977..... Anyway, the story was so amazing to me, that I asked the teacher about it afterward. She told me more about Tolkien and I asked my mom if I could get the books. I was blown away! Great choice!

MJ

TGMatt

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Ok this has been harder than I thought...So Im still working on my all time top 3..and I wanted it to be true to me, not just "yeah that was a good read", but this book actually changed my life significantly...

So

Here are some from a couple of periods of my life..

My Teenage years these three made a huge huge impact on me..

1- RObert the Bruce - Ladybird edition - I actually won this book , long before Mel had ever become braveheart...and in times of struggle I imagine myself as Robert in the craggy cave staring at the spider web and uniting a country with his passion and determination and bare faced courage..

2- Napolean Hill - Think and Grow Rich - masterminds, the power of thought to create something from nothing, you name it...

3- Unlimated Power - Anthony Robbins - This was TOnys first book, the one that truly set me on an international adventure..and eventually spending 2 years with the man himself...

My early 20's - These books became the foundation for my early entrepeneurial life , leading me to an early "retirement" at 28 to scour the world for more luminaries and answers...

1-Long Walk to Freedom - Nelson Mandela..So he is about to become big again in the media with the coming release of Clint Eastwood's Picture , but back then for a white boy living in a predominantly white Australian society , a lover of Rugby and no true understanding of what racism really meant..this book if nothing else , can teach you the power of forgiveness like no other..I am so looking forward to the movie..

2- Losing My Virginity - Richard Branson - My favourite businessman of all time...this book is actually very human, he talks openly of his personal faults, relationship screwups etc, but behind it is a guy who has so much fun, lives life in a way that we all secretly wish we could..

3-Power Vs Force - David Hawkins - I was introduced to this book by Wayne Dyer...and it still boggles my mind ....brings new meaning to the IT term - Garbage in Garbage Out

So Im going to go think about my late twenties books for a time...

Hope this is useful to someone

reiver

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:41 pm

TGMatt wrote:
1- RObert the Bruce - Ladybird edition - I actually won this book , long before Mel had ever become braveheart...and in times of struggle I imagine myself as Robert in the craggy cave staring at the spider web and uniting a country with his passion and determination and bare faced courage..

I hate to be pedantic - actually I love it - but Mel played William Wallace. ;)

r

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic