Do you ever just plain SUCK?!

johnrfeeney

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:01 am

happens especially after a frenetic holiday!

i could relate to all the comments

songman52

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:19 am

Yep, it happens. Although there is the occasional time when you pick it up and the stuff you've been working on comes out right and you say to yourself, "Wow, I guess that practicing is finally paying off!" Of course the next day it might be back to "sucky", but maybe at a little higher level.
Hey eagle670, try telling her, "Oh that amp? It's been in the back of the closet forever. Don't you remember?" Of course that never works for me, but you might try it.
Jerry

suziko

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 am

I, too, almost started a thread like this right after Xmas. We had family here and of course everyone wanted me to play for them. Well, since my husband and daughter had been sick, plus I'd been frantically preparing for the holidays, I hadn't picked up my guitar in days. Tried to play "What Child is This?" to start off and it was a DISASTER. Wrong notes everywhere, major butter-fingers. And even though I know the song cold from playing it a million times, I completely spaced halfway through and couldn't remember how the blasted song went! It all got worse from there on out. I botched even simple strumming songs (like Jingle bells) and finally just threw in the towel, thinking that probably everyone was thinking "She doesn't deserve such a nice guitar! She sucks!"

I can laugh about it now (though at the time I wanted to cry) and it was certainly a learning experience. One of my 2010 goals is to practice playing in front of people more (even if it's just my husband and daughter) so that when this does happen I hopefully won't turn my performance into a trainwreck.

haoli25

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:46 am

Practice certainly helps, but somedays it's just not your day no matter what. :laugh:

On those days, I thankful that I am not a street performer...I would starve to death! :P

Bill

temo44

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:09 pm

mark wrote:
Oh yeah I know that feeling well.

Some days I pick up the guitar and don't seem to be able to play anything with out mucking it up. At these times the more I play the more frustrated I get. I just have to put it down and try again later.

When I play the guitar when I'm really tired, it tends to go badly.
I completely agree with you Mark. Especially the being tired part. Nothing goes right then...

wadestar

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:22 pm

Even the best have bad days, just like us when they nail things just right they are happy about there show. I am a not a pro by any stretch off the truth, but I feel the same some days I just can not seem to do any wrong (to my ears) then the next day sounds like crap. Some times that is easy to understand, I may have had beer ears. lol I always sound better when drunk, but never enough beer to make me a pro.

BigBear

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Thank you all my friends for allowing me to vent my frustration. Misery loves company and I guess it happens to us all from time to time.

After reading all these great comments I think I violated every rule of practicing the guitar:

1. I was bone tired when I started playing (at 10:30pm).

2. I didn't warm up.

3. I started with songs too difficult to pull off and it went downhill from there.

4. I didn't accept defeat and realize that it just wasn't my day. I tried to play through my problems and I just made it worse and became more frustrated.

I did get a great belly laugh from all the hilarious comments! Kevin, do you know my wife? I pulled off that exact thing when I bought my little Roland amp. When it comes to guitars and gear, honesty isn't always the best policy!! lol!

Thanks again folks! :cheer:

eagle670

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:35 pm

suziko wrote:
Tried to play "What Child is This?" to start off and it was a DISASTER. Wrong notes everywhere, major butter-fingers. And even though I know the song cold from playing it a million times, I completely spaced halfway through and couldn't remember how the blasted song went!
Boy, can I relate to this. I don't know what it is but I can be in my little man cave playing along just great and then someone can come in the room and it's like I have never played before. Same thing Suz, fingers don't work, lose my place, forget how to finger chords...how frustrating. It's not that I am nervous or anything, it just happens and it really ticks my off. I have got to the point where I will hide my guitar when people come over, just so they don't ask me to play. How sad is that!

Maybe we need a TG support group when this type of thing happens to us. I elect Big Bear to be our "Suckie" leader.

Kevin

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:35 pm

I have to say, for the record, that even my very SUCKY days now are far better than my good days before I joined this site! Thanks to Neil and the TG team for that. Also thanks to all my friends who have given encouragement and support. Without this site, my SUCKY days would probably have driven me from this instrument I love so much.

Here's to all of us keeping our collective chins up and pushing through the bad days and just having fun while getting better!!!!!!!! Image

frybaby

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Suck….absolutely. Sound like were all in good company. Most often (99.9 percent of the time) I play for my by myself, just for the sheer joy playing the guitar, or I am providing background music for my wife’s cleaning or cooking.
After a hard day of mind numbing secular work. I can pick up my trusty 6 string and strum a few chords or just one - D chord usually does the trick, but G and C work equally well, and it take me to some special place. It fantastic. But if I try to get serious and play something a little more involved, and it sucks, I fall back on some old tune I love an can play by heart. Needle and the damage works well for me, and I start feeling better about my playing, then I work up from there. I also find than when things just are not clicking.. it a good time to do scales, arpeggios, and finger picking patterns.
But for sure I am most often disappointed in my playing when I try to play something for other folks. And if they are guitar players themselves, then I really blow it.

Not to get to spiritual on you folks, but, it’s a funny thing you know, aside from any guitar sound, just the vibration of the guitar are very special,in fact synchronizing finger and hand movement the precision of it all, is a marvelous thing. And then to have it produce music, even if it suck to some, is quite the gift.
I am some time reminded of a song by Paul Simon with the line

I was playin' my guitar
Lying underneath the stars
Just thankin' the lord for my fingers
For my fingers

Name than song anyone?

Well,….. there it is.
Frybaby

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic