Do you ever just plain SUCK?!

AndyT

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:07 am

Dennis,
I wonder the same thing but with things like 'mucking' and other euphemistic terms.

How badly can we confuse the 'otherlanders'? LOL

I just put it in my back pocket.

I think American movies have solved much of that for us. The bigger problem as I see it is the reverse.

Another good question there...
Is the internet causing a swing toward a single unified language that we all mis-understand equally?

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:30 am

Another good question there...
Is the internet causing a swing toward a single unified language that we all mis-understand equally?
Certainly Andy, we mother country folk never understand a word of what you guys are doing mucking about with our language anyway...... :-)

eagle670

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:38 am

Ya know some day's it's just not meant to be. But for me bad play days are not nearly as frequent as they use to be. Warming up seems to be a key to better playing. I usually do 3 strumming tunes right off the bat, Sister Golden Hair, My Sweet Lord and Fire on High, then I do 3 finger picking songs, Dust in the Wind, Stairway to Heaven and Romanza. Then its on to some cross picking stuff and then to new things. I had hoped that Neil might address this at some point and maybe put together a more structured warm-up routine, I'm sure he has it on to do list somewhere.

Kevin

MarkM

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:47 am

Ah this is funny. I was actually going to post something like this today. My feelings exactly. For no reason at least once a week sometimes twice I pick up the guitar all excited to play and I SUCK. I check that I'm all tuned up and try again. Nope still SUCK. OK I'll give it some warm up time. Get the wrist and fingers moving a bit as I just noodle. Nope still suck. Then the frustration sets in. I've set some time aside to practice and all I get is garbage. I can't explain it but you are 100% correct. Ususally when this happens I don't find anything productive to do like..... Oh do some work.... or clean that basement... no I come right here and the next thing I know a few hours have past and then I pick up the guitar again...............

MarkM

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:57 am

All the time Bear! We had family in for Christmas, and I did not get to pick up my guitar for at least 8 days......Tried to practice for the first time Monday night. Bad experience....... Course it did not help that there was a great football game on too. So I tried again last night. Well hell, there was another great football game on. I am going to try and practice in a room with no people and no TV tonight.

@Andy: I like you time line! That is usually about right for me. Start off struggling and then work into slight competence and then move on into a good comfort zone for a while. Ending on a good note! I think that is very important!

@Chris: Stuck in SUCK.......lol

MJ

Lavallee

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:13 am

I find it happens quite often and tried to identify why. I have noticed that if I am somewhat tired or in a bad mood (rough day with many things in my mind) I cannot learn anything or play any of the more complicated stuff. So I just then play whatever easy songs I know without being critical, if I miss. Then tomorrow is another day. B)

Marc

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:30 am

Lavallee wrote:
I find it happens quite often and tried to identify why. I have noticed that if I am somewhat tired or in a bad mood (rough day with many things in my mind) I cannot learn anything or play any of the more complicated stuff. So I just then play whatever easy songs I know without being critical, if I miss. Then tomorrow is another day. B)

Marc
Nice point Marc! I feel exactly that way some days. If I am wiped from a bad day, I am best served playing some of the easier stuff to pick me up.

MJ

dennisg

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 am

Since I bought an amp, I've found that my sucking just got louder.

- Dennis

eagle670

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:43 am

dennisg wrote:
Since I bought an amp, I've found that my sucking just got louder.

- Dennis
And then you spread your suckiness to the whole household, which prompts your wife to ask, so why exactly did you buy that? and how much was it again?

ffsooo3

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:50 am

Nope, I'm always amazed at how good I am. Never a bad moment. Hell, never a bad note! Whenever I pick up my guitar I smile and think "could I be any better?". :P

Of course, the preceding is just a dream. :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic