Do you ever just plain SUCK?!

BigBear

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 am

Geez, I picked up the guitar tonight after not playing for a week and I was AWFUL!!! Nothing sounded right. Even the dogs left the room. For a minute I thought I should start playing left handed because the normal way couldn't sound much worse!

Do you ever sit down to practice and find that your guitar would make better kindling than a musical instrument in your hands?

michelew

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:59 am

Yep....not as often as I used to but a definite 'Yep'.

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:08 am

Hell yesss. too often for my liking though. But you know you just gotta keep going cos you know you're gonna get better

AndyT

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:18 am

I've been sick the last 4 days. Spent my time sleeping and running to the bathroom. Managed to sit up and surf TG a bit here and there, but didn't touch my guitar.

Today, I felt better and started to play and WOW! Did it sound bad. My finger tips went soft and no matter how hard I tried I simply could not get a decent chord from it.

So, I'm going back to bed and when I wake up this nightmare will be past and I'll be able to play again.

Plus, I'm expecting good sounds tomorrow since the amp has arrived in Hawaii and it's to be delivered tomorrow. YAY!

haoli25

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:25 am

Guitars are jealous ladies. Ignoring them is never the answer! They will make you pay for your inattentiveness.

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:04 am

Oh yeah! Know this feeling very well Bear, my friend. I can honestly say, without boasting at all, that I can suck playing the guitar, any time, any place. It's an odd feeling, after all these years. More often than not, it is a feeling of low energy, just don't seem to have the power and confidence. I'm sure that we're not quite as bad as we think in these situations: we are always comparing in our minds ear, with how we think or want to sound. I find just pushing on and ignoring the horror in my ears and feeling in my fingers can get me beyond that feeling of being stuck in SUCK.

Another thought is this: If I play tennis or squash, I need to warm up for about 10 minutes at least to get the feel of the ball, swing and timing.Otherwise, those ball can fly anywhere, fast! Even Federer and Co. need to do that, its part of preparing to perform. Do we do that enough when playing guitar? Probably not. Allowing some warm-up (suck)time and suspending judgement for 10 mins each time may help.
Guitars are jealous ladies. Ignoring them is never the answer! They will make you pay for your inattentiveness.

Bill, my friend, that has got to be quote of the month! Thank you for that ;-)

AndyT

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:20 am

Practice Schedule:

10 Min suck time
10 Min convincing self its really OK time
1 hour stuff I can't do yet
1 hour stuff I can do well

(Always end on a good note)

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:31 am

You got it Andy! :-)

mark

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:21 am

Oh yeah I know that feeling well.

Some days I pick up the guitar and don't seem to be able to play anything with out mucking it up. At these times the more I play the more frustrated I get. I just have to put it down and try again later.

When I play the guitar when I'm really tired, it tends to go badly.
I think some of it is down to your attitude at the time. If you are looking for things which are wrong, it's not hard to find them.
When you are playing well and feeling good, all the little things that go wrong don't seem to matter.

dennisg

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:03 am

I always wonder if the non-English speaking members of this forum scratch their heads when they come across an American idiom like Do you ever just plain suck.

- Dennis

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic