Black Eyed Peas

hasben

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:08 am

Hey, I'm cooking a big pot of black eyed peas for New Years day. I'm pretty sure this is a southern (US) tradition. Just wondering how far eating black eyed peas on new years has spread. Australia? Seattle with sushi?

Anyone out there who had never heard of back eyed peas before the band became well known?

Anyone never eaten them?

Got a good recipe. Fred

dennisg

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:18 am

You're in Oklahoma, Fred, so I'm guessing you add some "regional" ingredients to your black-eyed peas recipe which would prevent me from eating that dish. Unfortunately, my doctor put me on a low road-kill diet.

- Dennis

aitch

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:24 am

Well, here in South Carolina, it's black-eyed peas, collard greens, and ham on New Year's Eve. Throw in some hot buttered biscuits and sweet tea too. I've always heard that eatin the greens is supposed to make you rich and the blackeyed peas will make you lucky. I'm still waitin on all that to happen :whistle:

Catman

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:25 am

dennisg wrote:
Unfortunately, my doctor put me on a low road-kill diet
Ouch!

But for me, just the words "black eyed peas" are sufficient to induce a distinct feeling of nausea, so I'll give your recipe a pass, and stick with the hummus.

David

dennisg

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:38 am

Catman wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Unfortunately, my doctor put me on a low road-kill diet
Ouch!

David
Don't feel too much pain for him, David. Fred (Hasben) and I are old cycling buddies, and we've ridden across Oklahoma twice. We've come across more dead armadillos than you can imagine. Poor little guys.

- Dennis

TGMatt

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:41 am

As an Aussie introduced to southern food by one

of my business partners I have had the good fortune of eating all sorts of goodies and I love it all..

The question about it spreading to OZ ...er no..

I can tell you without any hesitation that the main dish on new years in oz is BEER...and I am not exagerating..

If we are hungry its Beer and maybe lamb chops and snags on the barbie...with maybe some left over roast from xmas day.

But mostly Beer ....and cricket..

A diet I might add fit for Kings

hasben

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:42 am

Catman, you need to know that Dennisg from Seattle is (was) a personal friend of mine. And he lies a lot. It has actually been weeks since I went on a road-kill gathering trip. Too cold here. Good road kill needs heat and asphalt to cure correctly. Just not in season.

Aitch, I've eaten bales of collards but didn't know it would make me rich if timed correctly. That explains much. As to luck, I've probably eaten black eyed peas every New Years since I was born and who's to say? I can only imagine what fate would have done to me without that little luck hit!! FD

hasben

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:03 am

Matt,
First: What is a snag? Sounds, well... snaggy.
Two: Beer at New Years? Of course! You guys are in the middle of summer. Ah, "hot summer day" (remember that song?)and cold beer...
Turd: Thank you all at TG for this site. You are a big part of my New Year Revolutions. FD

wiley

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:24 am

haoli25

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:56 am

TGMatt wrote:
If we are hungry its Beer and maybe lamb chops and snags on the barbie...

Matt, Snags and beer sounds pretty damn good to me! :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic