Any Watch guys out their ??.......especially Vintage Rolex ?

TGMatt

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:46 pm

Greetings all..

As new years approaches I am currently orientating myself towards some new years goals..

I am looking to add to my Porsche collection, I am chasing a vintage Martin and as another addiction that has been very costly (I call it "the sickness"), I am going to add to my watch collection....You know exactly who you are if you have the sickness like me, you spend way too much time on timezone, and you drool over complications...

I have a coupel of Panerais, a couple of modern Rolexes , an 80's seamaster, and a few lesser but nice models, like Oris flightimers etc etc..

But what I really am going to do this year is get me a "Steve Mcqueen" Daytona...I own a 69 911 just like he drove in lemans, now I need the watch (yes Mcqueen and his buddy Newman are 2 of my all time heroes), so if you know anything about this then u know I am looking for a neeedle in a haystack, as most have had innards replaced, no papers etc etc ,.....if you know anyone trustworthy in this field (for the novices we coin it horology or the study of watches..), please let me know via PM..or discuss here..

Cheers

Oh....and I will add this to the book thread but their is a book that is just brilliant to anyone interested in well...anything ..... , is this book LONGITUDE - The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time

From Amazon "The thorniest scientific problem of the eighteenth century was how to determine longitude. Many thousands of lives had been lost at sea over the centuries due to the inability to determine an east-west position. This is the engrossing story of the clockmaker, John "Longitude" Harrison, who solved the problem that Newton and Galileo had failed to conquer, yet claimed only half the promised rich reward."

TGMatt

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:54 pm

Just as a supplemental...I am interested in a couple of other pieces, an AP, a Hublot Big Bang, a Rolex Daytona that is around a 98 ..and a Patek chrono or sun and moon........

And old Martin, Porches, lol....stop me now.....

heyjoe

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:09 pm

I knew you were a man of taste Matt, loving the watches you described.
Good luck finding your "grail" watch, it'll be tough, but thats part of the fun.

Just for you and the other horologists, I've got a 1966 806 Breitling Navitimer on my wrist as I type this. I have the original box, instructions and receipt as well, I even know on what date it was purchased. It's had 1 previous owner, my dad, and he gave it to me a few years ago as he couldnt wear it anymore, its gorgeous and I wear it as much as possible

Good luck getting your watch, if I had one piece of advice taken from lurking on a breitling forum, it would be, stay away from south american watches, or frankenwatches as I believe they are called.

Let us know how you get on

Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic