to understand some humor//

willem

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:38 am

dennisg wrote:
willem,

What you're asking isn't clear to me. Are you asking what makes any humor funny? Or are you asking about a specific thing that Neil said?

- Dennis
Its not special to Neil... but when it is written englisch then i (maybe)do not understand the joke or the funny thing in it...so what Andy tells about the two bears in the bath,,,???? soap...radio.???

willem

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:53 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
How to understand the humour used here? Willem, here is lesson nr.1 for you from our good friend John Cleese. If you get this then you are half way there! ;-)
Hey Chris thanks,, i do my best,,,i have a compaq you know and a intel inside.....

dennisg

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:10 pm

willem,

Forget the two bears in the bath. That was an example of something that's apparently funny in one culture but not in another. Mostly, it's just confusing.

If something comes along that you recognize as humor, please feel free to ask what it means. If we can explain it, we will.

But as someone who has for a long time made a living as a humor writer, I can tell you that it's impossible to explain humor in general. There are many, many elements that go into making something funny, and they're not always the same in each instance, and they're not always the same for different people. And what we found funny in the past may no longer be funny today. (Brits: see Hill, Benny)

I've been asked hundreds of times over the years to explain what makes humor funny. I've attended writers conferences where I've sat on a panel of humor writers. No one can explain it. But I think there is one component of humor that occurs almost every time something strikes us as funny, and that's the "unexpected." Whether we watch "The Simpsons" or "There's something about Mary" or any comedian, what usually strikes us as funny are the things that catch us by surprise. Of course, not everything that surprises us strikes us a funny. A loud noise surprises us, but usually doesn't make us laugh -- although we will often laugh with relief after a loud noise when we realize we're not in danger or when we think about how startled we were.

A lot of people who post in forums like to indicate when they're attempting to say something funny by including smiley faces or LOLs.

For me, as a writer and someone with a musical ear, I find sounds funny. For example, I keep thinking about the words stroopwaffel and oliebollen that you've used in your posts. Those two words make me smile, mostly because the sound of them surprises me and because they are so foreign to my ear.

There are so many things that we think are funny. And so many different ways to make us laugh.

But you should know that Neil has never said anything funny.

- Dennis

wiley

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:04 pm

wiley

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:10 pm

BigBear

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:32 pm

wiley wrote:
Dennis;

I still find Hill, Benny funny!

As for 'sounds' being funny, Farts are ALWAYS funny! I believe they are even cross-culture!

Wiley, I thought that was true too so last night while my wife was sleeping I decided to test that theory. She woke up and almost threw me out of the house! She's still mad at me! I was just trying to play "Covered Wagon"!

I guess male humor is a little different. I thought I was hysterical!! :silly:

wiley

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:52 pm

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:16 pm

But you should know that Neil has never said anything funny.
I beg to differ Dennis! Neil has quite a dry sense of humour witness his adulation of TP! ;-)

Willem: One of the funniest quotes on this site come from you, my friend: "Both thumbs pointing upstairs". That was really cute because for some it was obvious that you meant, Thumbs up! And others were completely bamboozled! We loved it, which is why it's often quoted.

songman52

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Great videos, good thread. It hadn't occurred to me to put 'lol' after things, thinking most members would know when I was attempting humor (or humour). It dawns on me now that perhaps others might not have "caught" it. So, perhaps I should put 'lol' to indicate humor/humour.

BTW, I personally enjoy many types of humor, from "British" to ethnic to slapstick. (An aside: the Three Stooges don't seem as funny as when I was ten years old. But the Marx Brothers got funnier. Anyone else notice that?)

Anyway, I laugh often at many of the comments in the forums and enjoy reading all the banter. I'm still not sure why the bears and penguins were in the bath together, but the radio was apparently made in Korea, right? Just joking, willem.

Jerry

willem

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Dennis,thanks,,that ''OLIEBOLLEN''things was mentiond funny,,when i typed it i had a smile to... the rest of your typing to explain to me i understand..

Wiley,, i love britisch humor,,but when we see it here on the telly it is translate well..
I know what you mean when Neil went a way from the lesson,,that funny and enjoyed it..

Chris I'm happy to make some smiles,, thanks for confirm that,,humor or smiles are a great thing in life,,,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic