A brand new year - The Egyptians, and a new bucket list - in other words...it aint 2012 yet ...

TGMatt

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:02 pm

After reading a thread regarding the end of the world - (Briefly - a reference to thee Mayan Calender finishing ) . I thought I would share from me what I choose to focus on....

I have mentioned a number of times on my blog the value of cinema to lift ones energy, the power of visual, audio and emotion, can elevate ones spirit, and as I drift into the new year, I chanced upon one of my favorite commercial movies .."the bucket list"...so much good in this movie...One particular line stood out for me this time...

The Egyptians would ask you as you neared your end, 2 questions, the answers would determine where you would end up...

(1) Did you find and experience joy in your life ?

(2) Did your life bring joy to others...???

So go find your joy...........

This is what I am choosing to focus on, along with my bucket list additions...

So lets see your Guitar and non guitar related bucket lists...

Share them here...

Here are a couple of shorts from the movie to inspire..as an aside their (there) was a great John Mayer track associated to this movie ...

As a p.s.....If any of you are interested in the idea of film as a "consciousness raising tool"..check out spiritual cinema....sent to you monthly, several films from all over the world, documentaries, you name it, that are orientated to this goal...been a member for years ....
http://www.spiritualcinemacircle.com/

Hope you get something from this folk..

AndyT

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:39 pm

The Bucket List was a really good movie. One of my favorite lines was "Never pass up a bathroom."

jayswett

Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:29 am

I can't say I've seen the movie, but it looks like a real tear jerker. I don't spend alot of time thinking about my own eventual demise, but perhaps a bucket list isn't a bad idea. One off the top of my head is to play my guitar at an open mic night somewhere. It's not a goal of mine to do that necessarily, but I'd sure love to do it before I'm gone from this world.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:25 am

One off the top of my head is to play my guitar at an open mic night somewhere. It's not a goal of mine to do that necessarily, but I'd sure love to do it before I'm gone from this world.
Hey Jay, great idea for the bucket list. Here's my 2cents: Why wait? Get it done by summer. You can do that. Why do I say that? Because it will open up new avenues for you and give you so much energy. It's something you REALLY want to do. Fantastic! Don't wait. Start now.

We all want to see the video of it when it's done ;-)

haoli25

Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:13 am

Before my big 'dirt nap', I would like to write two books, one fiction and one nonfiction. I could care less if they are ever published. Over the years I have started both many times, but wound up doing more editing than writing. lol

Bill

wrench

Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:21 am

Hmmmmmm.... Very few replies to Matt's post.

A lot of folks here at TG are 50+, including me, so it's just a fact that many of us view the majority of our lives in the rearview mirror. I had reasons to do exactly this in January 2009, and what I saw changed my perspective of life, or more specifically, what in life really matters.

I am what some would call an overachiever. I excelled at a number of things in my life, and accomplished what others could not in those fields. But in the rearview mirror with no road ahead, I realized none of it mattered because none of it brought joy to my family. So I made a bucket list, and after a week or so, there was only one item on the list.

I stopped playing guitar at age 16 because I really wasn't very good at it, and at that point in my life I didn't realize it was my nature to do something better than everyone else or don't do it at all. But last January when I wrote down all that I did and all that I wanted to do, I just wanted to play guitar to my wife and kids. And I was out of time. So for the first time in my life, I took on a project that would end without mastery, and I would get as far as I could in the time I had left.

With a very stressful job situation and staring down both barrels of my own mortality, I spent my last hour each day on listening to guitar and scouring the internet for information. I immediately discovered that the one hour diversion brought some peace of mind and balance to my life. Then I tried to select a guitar, and the first real joy of guitar presented itself. With analysis paralysis on guitar selection, my wife selected and bought my first guitar. I love that guitar because she selected it, and I play it still. And she didn't seem to mind the horrible noise I made with it early on because she was a part of it. Then on the internet one night in March, I found this new site - TG. It is no understatement that TG made my Bucket List come true.

I think one will never know how one will respond to a certain situation until he is actually faced with that situation, and I don't know how old or wise Matt is, but his short list of two questions is tested and verified, although I would edit the second question from "joy to others" to "joy to family".

Jay, go find that open mic. And take your family. Now.

dennisg

Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:10 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Before my big 'dirt nap', I would like to write two books, one fiction and one nonfiction. I could care less if they are ever published. Over the years I have started both many times, but wound up doing more editing than writing. lol

Bill

Bill, I've written both. I can tell you it feels good to have done it.

Jay, I've done that, too. Absolutely terrifying. I rate it a 10 on the Sphincter Pucker Scale. Right before you hit your first notes, you're thinking, "What the f--- am I doing up here with all these people staring at me. I'm a complete faker. I'm going to totally pogue this." And yet the first notes come out. And they're not so bad. Then you start singing. And you look out at the audience, and they want you to succeed. And that gives you confidence. And you get better as the song goes along, until finally you actually feel confident. And you nail the song -- and the audience claps wildly in support.

Good thread, Matt. I'm going to think about this.

- Dennis

TGMatt

Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:10 pm

I can tell you I have written goals every year of my life...I have been through more Sh%# than most folk, I have built several multimillion dollar businesses, and have had some huge failures, I have experienced all that you do in a full life of travel and adventure, family issues, you name it...

The bucket list is not for when you approach death..I mean how the heck do you know anyways....it is a list for life...not a list for death...

My bucket list 2 years ago had on it learning guitar amongst some other line items...and as a result of recording it on paper and their is magic to taking a thought to paper (it becomes crystallised from the ether to the physical world and becomes the first step in reality)..

As a result of including that item , TG became a reality....and trust me I had no idea that this would be one of the consequences...

I have written stuff down that were frankly way beyond my belief levels of the time, and yet I find myself now experiencing them..

On the flip side their are things I wished I had written down, things I wished I had focused on more...

The acid test I wrote above is does it provide you joy, or joy to others..this is now what I do when I look at everything I do...If it does not meet that criteria then it probably does not belong on the list..

So a repeat to all of you out their (or is that there?), write a list get it up here..dream a little, call it your living large list..

And as a tip ..remember you have nothing without your health...

I am a bit younger than some here, older than others, and I do not claim to be wise, everything I know is a result of standing on the shoulders of giants, and the subtle art of observation..I can assure you that spending the time to create some guidance to joy for this year will be the best time you spent, and you may come to realize what I was on about retrospectively..(all cash gifts forwarded to TG ;) )..........

Do it now before the year becomes a blur, and if it so inclines you, share it with us...

Cheers

tovo

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:41 pm

My goal is always to maintain humility, to never think that my challenges or achievements are somehow larger or more impressive than everyone else's. I have a goal to avoid self absorption and spend more time listening than lecturing because I know I will always learn plenty from those who have gone before me if I just take the time to hear. When you converse with someone, listen to how many times they say "I" and "me".

I have a goal not to take myself to seriously, after all, what I achieve in business will never be as important as what my children say about me to their friends after I'm gone, and if they say something like "he was a good Dad, he spent time with us and taught us to respect others" I know I would be satisfied.

Perhaps I'm not very ambitious. I like me that way.

Oh....and I REALLY want to be able to play Norwegian Wood properly!!! :)

TGMatt

Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Well said Tony

And exactly why I have let go of two businesses,in the last year to concentrate on where I help to provide joy to myself and others...less money but more pleasure..and great folk like yourself to boot...

Nice post

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic