Joan Armatrading's Favourite Guitarists

TGMatt

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:47 am

Hey all....

I posted a tune a while ago from one of my favourite lady artists...the shouting stage, and as I was doing a search I found, this tonight...

very cool..

Anyone get a copy of it ??

Joan Armatrading's Favourite Guitarists

Monday 27 to Friday 31 July 2009

Legendary singer, songwriter and guitarist Joan Armatrading invites leading guitarists to join her and discuss their music.

Over a conversation with her guests, guitar at the ready to illustrate their approach and techniques, listeners hear from some of the greatest guitarists of all time.

From The Radio Times

No matter whether it is rock, blues, classical, folk or experimental, the guitar can make you gently weep. In conversation with five high priests of the art of the guitar, Joan Armatrading simultaneously draws out of them some of the sweetest, most magically mesmerising sounds and gets them to reveal the techniques by which they make them. Whether it is fingerpicking with Mark Knopfler, bluesy bottleneck with Bonnie Raitt, or dazzling arpeggios from John Williams, both instrument and player are devastatingly eloquent. Joan chats easily with her fellow stars, who are evidently relaxed with her. Knopfler recalls his first bottleneck stop that his dad knocked up for him in the garden shed, while Raitt remembers that she made hers, at the tender age of 14, out of an old medicine bottle from her family's bathroom cabinet. I'm not a guitarist but these five little conversations made me wish I was.

-- Frances Lass

1/5 Mark Knopfler

Joan talks to Mark Knopfler, celebrated lead guitarist of Dire Straits, who is considered the most respected intricate fingerstyle guitarist of the modern rock era. He found his "guitar voice" in his mid twenties and formed Dire Straits in the late Seventies. He brings his old Gibson and National steel guitar to the studio.

2/5 - Bonnie Raitt

Joan talks to American blues singer and songwriter Bonnie Raitt. In a field dominated by men, Raitt has made her way in the brotherhood of guitar since her eponymous debut album unveiled her soulful slide playing and singing back in 1971. Joan hears how the young Bonnie dropped out of Harvard and hung out with the greatest bluesmen, learning slide guitar and techniques that have sustained her long and varied career. Using the blues as a launching pad, Raitt fearlessly explored folk, R&B, Americana and world music styles.

3/5 - John Williams

Joan meets classical guitarist John Williams. Regarded as the one of the finest classical guitarists of his generation, Williams has explored many different musical traditions including Spanish and jazz guitar. He plays Joan different music across from the centuries to illustrate the differences between classical and other forms of guitar music.

4/5 - Russell Lissack

Joan meets Russell Lissack, lead guitarist of indie-rock band Bloc Party and her youngest guitar favourite. Lissack is one of the most influential and emulated guitarists of recent times. Using his ever-expanding array of electronic effects, Russell is able to make his guitar sound like nothing else on earth. Be it spiky power chords, immersive walls of sound or the whoosh of an aeroplane taking off, he shows how far modern technology
has influenced guitar playing in the wake of the psychedelic experiments of the 1960s.

5/5 - Bert Jansch

Joan meets Bert Jansch, widely acknowledged as one of the most influential musicians of all time. Since the mid-1960s, every generation has been held spellbound by his extraordinary fingerpicking and stringbending techniques and classic emotive songs. He continues to be revered as the master guitarist of folk music.

A Just Radio production for BBC Radio 4.
Presenter/Joan Armatrading, Producer/Susan Marling Image

AndyT

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:02 am

Ok, you're teasing us. How do we listen to or watch this?

reiver

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:31 am

Unfortunately these are no longer available from the official Radio 4 site, however they may be available here.

http://extratorrent.com/torrent/2105991 ... rleuk.html

I have not tried this myself and cannot give any recommendation.

r

cosmicmechanic

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:20 am

The torrent link suggested by reiver (above) may work just fine, but I haven't tried it either, because in parallel, I was off on my own wild goose chase for these BBC programs.

With some kicking and squirming, I managed to find and extract the BBC programs from rapidshare.com

If for some reason the preceding torrent link isn't ok for you, let me know ... then I'll look into how to make this available as simply as possible.

wrench

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:37 am

I just downloaded the interviews from the Torrent link reiver provided.

Very interesting - definitely worth listening to if you want to hear how great artists think. It takes a little over an hour to listen to all five.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic