Help needed to launch a new feature on TG - consider this a fun game/contribution

TGMatt

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Greetings..

We need some help from those of you out in TG universe who understand somewhat our teaching philosophy..

As some of you are aware, when we release a song , it often teaches a method or chord progression or something that once learned, can be applied to play several other very similarly constructed songs..

A basic example would be House of the rising sun has a set of progressions around a basic arpeggio...you learn this you can play REM everybody hurts ...and others..

To help us get a jump start on this, if you recognize a song in Target and 3-5 other songs that could be played once you learn the basics of the lesson, then do the following for us.(it will help us get this going quickly)

(1) Post the song that you are referring to in Target

(2) Post the basic elements that are applicable across the board

(3) Post the 3-5 songs that are very closely related as a result of learning the Target lesson...

(4) post Target song and associated lessons per response pls

We will be adding this list of tunes (plus some of our own thoughts/efforts) to every song within Target to help folks jump start what other tunes they get to enjoy very quickly..

Thx for the help all...let the games begin

TGMatt

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:03 am

Here is a second quick example

Brown eyed girl uses a "1a" strum , that is a strumming technique that is a beginner strum,
[center]
D DU UDU [/center]
A song with the same pattern would be Tequila Sunrise..

AndyT

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 am

The arpeggio to House of the Rising Sun is the opening riff to Nothing Else Matters.

TGMatt

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:13 am

Now your getting it ;) Which is the same as the arpeggio to Romanza...(see some method to our madness B) )

TGMatt

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:18 am

B) same arpeggio

And Jim Croce "Time in a bottle"....

willem

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:30 am

TGMatt wrote:
Here is a second quick example

Brown eyed girl uses a "1a" strum , that is a strumming technique that is a beginner strum,
[center]
D DU UDU [/center]
A song with the same pattern would be Tequila Sunrise..
THIS strum D DU UDU can you use at verses of REM song ''losing my religion'' but it goes over two measres (one chord/two maesers)

BigBear

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:37 am

Wish You Were Here...The Lead Section is a lesson on how to apply pentatonic scales when soloing (in this song e minor/G major pentatonic scale). Also covered extensivley in the Acoustic Genuis Series....Pentatonic Scales and Patterns.

This can be applied to the lead sections in songs such as:

Amie (Pure Prairie League): A major/f# minor pentatonic scale

Maggie May (Rod Stewart): D major/b minor pentatonic scale

Let It Be (The Beatles): C major/a minor pentatonic scale

Of course you still have to get your fingers to move fast enough!

TGMatt

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:51 am

Yes you nailed that ...well done..

Where are all the "oldtimers"????....I see a ton of views...where are you contributions ?...I am certain you need to think on this some more everyone...we definately have a lot more to explore here..and you are going to learn a ton, and why certain songs made it , and what it opens up for you scope wise..

AndyT

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:02 am

Wow! I'm not an oldtimer! Cool! Matt just ran me back 20 years. Now that I'm young again...

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46 am

Matt:

When you guys mentioned this during TG Live, I thought it was a great idea. It really gives us so many more options on songs we can attempt with what we have learned.

For me, on my transcription kick, one sticks out right away:

Target Song: Lucky Man by ELP
Time: 3/4
Strum Pattern: D DU DU

The song I applied it to was this one by Great White called "In the Tradition". I think the time of this is more 6/8, but the strumming pattern applies fairly well.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic