Neil's Birthday- Haunting Song Of The Day

dekotaj

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi Gang,

First I have to say I am really touched by everything that has been going on at TG today. I thought I might share a little bit of my day with my TG Family. I woke up very early with a song running through my head, one that has really haunted me since I first heard it many years ago. It was a great start to be able to listen to it as I went through all the birthday messages and general goofiness on the Forum this morning. This is probably not the soundtrack to my life, but at least the soundtrack to my day.

As the day went on and I spent some time with my wife Nani, my cousin Pete, a few cameos from the kids, and a short call with Matt, this beautiful melody stayed with me. Late in the afternoon I had to hear it again and grabbed my guitar to play along, much like in some of our recent FlipCam segments. As I sorted out the progression and the melody I felt compelled to grab the camera and share it with you, and even make it a bit of a game.

Let’s see who remembers it or can pin it down. I haven’t really thought through this much but if you are pretty sure you know what it is, PM me. Please don’t post the answer until a lot of folks have had a chance to give it a go.

Let’s see what happens…

Thanks again for all you add to TotallyGuitars!

Neil
[video type=youtube][/video]

wadestar

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Wow imppressed for sure eh, haunting for sure just can not put my finger on it! Come on people! HAPPY B'Day!

haoli25

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:26 pm

I think I know that song Neil, but I am only about 80% sure so I will listen to it a few more times before I make my guess.
I couldn't help but notice, songs that you have only worked on for 5 minutes sound very close to songs that I have worked on for 3 weeks! I must be gaining on it! :laugh:

Bill

jimcjimc

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:29 pm

I guess we need a hint?

70's progressive rock band from England, pretty symphonic, originally formed by KR, who also was a founding force of an English blues band with a roster of 3 really famous guitar players (in the next phases of their careers.

Any help?

Neil

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:44 pm

Well, it's a hauntingly beautiful tune Neil.... seems just the right kind of sound to have filling your head all day on a good day ;-). No idea what that is although I was in the right place at the right time be able to make a guess.... I guess I just have never heard it.

wammer

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:01 pm

KR is not Keith Richards. I guess I'd better get more specific- A major part of the Yardbirds went on to start a more progressive band, made 2 albums with them before a mostly new line up headed into the Symphonic Progressive direction. They made 4-5 classic albums, then started writing shorter songs to go along with the times, then made a couple more in this manner before the 80's took them down. The entire genre pretty much packed up and went home for about 15 years.

Neil

BigBear

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Neil- Is the KR Keith Relf? I know him from the early days of Renaisannce; one of my all-time most favorite bands. I don't have the group down yet or the song.

I know after Clapton left the Yardbirds he teamed up with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. Beck and Jimmy Page put out some good stuff but Beck got fired from the band. Page kept the Yardbirds together for awhile before he went out and formed Led Zeppelin.

Could this be a Zeppelin tune? :cheer:

mmmbldo

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:22 pm

KR is Keith Relf.

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:44 pm

Sounds a bit like Shapes In My Mind

izzyhara

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm coming up with John Sebastian and maybe Graham Nash?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic