Hawaii: Where and why????????????

Music Junkie

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:43 am

Hey everybody:

I am planning on taking the family to Hawaii this year. Anyone who lives there (Andy, Bill.....) and anyone who has been there......Where would you go and why????

We like hiking, history, good beaches, Would love to do a few touristy things (scooters around the island, luau, eat some Spam....lol).

I would love to hear what you guys think, and hear about your experiences there. If you could go back what you make sure to see. I would love to see Pearl Harbor, what else is good in that area? Also, we would really like to go to the observatory if at all possible.....

Thanks in advance for responding.

MJ

haoli25

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:01 am

Lucky you MJ. You are gonna love it!!! There are lots of touristy things to do on O'ahu and Maui and the Pearl Harbor Memorial is a must see! The beaches will surely occupy most of your time, but when on O'ahu, take the time to climb Diamond Head and take a trip out to the north shore and see some HUGE waves. A lunch or dinner cruise are also highly recommended.
My favorite of the islands is Kauai, but all of them are breathtaking in their beauty and all are worthy of a visit.

I'm sure Andy has tons of things to add to you list.

Bill

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:19 am

Pearl Harbor is loaded with history.
The Arizona, The Missouri (Just back from Drydock), Some films about WWII, you can spend about 4-5 hours at Pearl fairly easily.

Please Note: The US Department of the Interior has instituted a "no bags" policy at the Arizona Memorial and Visitor Center. Passengers may not carry any item that offers concealment. This includes purses, handbags, backpacks, diaper bags, etc. A small camera is permitted. Please bring vital items in a manner that they can be placed in your pockets. Do not leave valuables on the bus or in your car.

Polynesian Cultural Center. A cool historical show and Hawaiian center.

Submarine ride. Goes to shipwrecks on the ocean floor and you can see the fish close up and personal.

Lots of beaches on all islands.

Parasailing,

Paradise Cove. Dinner and a show.

Learn to surf,

Depending on the time of year, Whale watching...

Hanauma Bay snorkeling. Meet the fish face to face.

Sea Life Park, (sort of like SeaWorld)

Airplane tours around the island, Helicopter tours.

Kualoa Ranch ATV ride into Jurassic Park. (Where it was filmed)

I'm not sure about the observatory. Have not done that yet.

These are the things that I would do again. Some are really touristy, some not so much, but all are good. All of this is on Oahu.
Depending on the time of year, you might hit the Uke fesitval or the Music festival, or any number of other specials we have through the year.

Don't bring sunscreen, buy it here and use it! The sun here is much more intense than anywhere on the mainland except south Texas. you WILL need sunscreen or you will need the ER. You choose.

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:25 am

Bill,
Yeah, Kauai is my favorite also, but most tourists don't like it. Its still too country for them. If you're not on one of the resorts, there's not much to do there.

Maui is cool too. It has most of what Oahu has except for a few things like the Cultural Center, Paradise Cove... but the resorts on Maui hold their own luaus at least once a week.

Big Island has Volcano National Park which is truly awesome if you are into nature and watching the earth explode and vent. The crater is still venting constantly. Has been for quite a few years now.

EDIT:
Almost forgot, Kauai has our version of the Grand Canyon. A Helo ride through there is very cool.

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:28 am

NEVER SWIM IN MUDDY WATER.
Don't forget that. Sharks love to feed in the muddies because the prey can't see them coming.

haoli25

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:29 am

Andy, Is The Bishop Museum still open? If so, there are lots of cultural things to see there.

Also, Ilioni Palace. Surfing Championship in February? and Whale watching tours in March.

Damn, MJ, you need a longer vacation! lol

Bill

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:33 am

Yeah, I forgot about those two. The Bishop Museum just did some major renovations and you can now walk inside a volcano there. Lots of very cool exhibits.

The Palace. Where the ruling Monarchy used to live. Lots more Hawaiian history. Includes the Royal barracks.

King Kamehameha's Statue downtown across from the Palace...

haoli25

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:51 am

And another, 'nother thing MJ. STAY AWAY FROM THE PACKAGED TOURS!! You will hate it and you and your family will do much better on your own.

Bill

mattroutley

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:41 am

MJ, I am SUPER jealous!!

I'm an avid surfer and would love to go to hawaii one day, unfortunately paying for my son to go to school and my overpriced mortgage is hoding me back!

I'll look forward to hearing the stories when you're done :)

Matt

BigBear

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:20 am

MJ- Every time I go there I always start on Oahu for a couple of days because there is so much to see and do. Then I take one of the many hops to the other islands.

If you haven't been there before Maui would be first on my list after Oahu. If you are a golfer Maui is paradise but there's lots of other stuff to do there as well. Lahaina is really cool and the Hard Rock Cafe is always packed. Although I didn't find the beaches very impressive.

Kauai is stunningly beautiful, especially the canyon (Waimea Canyon). It's my favorite island by far because there isn't as much to do except relax and take in the beauty.

The Big Island of Hawaii is also beautiful especially if you are into volcanoes but there aren't many beaches and I'm not convinced it's much of a family spot. And I don't have the money anymore to go to Kona Village where the rich people stay.

Molokai and Lanai are just becoming major tourist areas but don't really have the tourist facilities unless you just have to see them.

Bill is absolutely right about packaged tours. I HATE THEM! And they are unncessary. Every hotel has thousands of brochures for stuff to see and do.

And Andy is right about Pearl Harbor. It is almost a full day tour but if you have any interest in where "The day that will live in infamy" happened it's a must see. You check in and get a time for the barge to the Arizona and then loiter for up to a couple of hours to get over to the monument.

Last time I was there (on Oahu) I had to work all week inside an office building (now that really sucks!) so my wife and daughter went exploring. A couple of things they really enjoyed were the catamaran tour out to the reefs and the Hummer tour of the island. They also did the submarine tour and said it was fun to do once. We all went out to the Polynesian Cultural Center and I really enjoyed that. It's where I learned to pronounce ukulele correctly! Also the snorkeling is unbelieveable and a great family event if the kids swim.

I hope you have a great trip! One word of caution- DON'T EAT THE POI! The natives make that crap to feed the haoles (tourists to be kind) and then sit back and laugh while they choke it down and pretend they really like it. It is just the mashed root of the tarot plant but Poi is one of those "life's too short" things!

Cheers! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic