Audio Equipment

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:58 am

Has anyone ever heard of Nady microphones? I can get a good deal on one but its such a good deal it makes me wonder if the product is any good.

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 am

Nady are generally ok which model?

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:21 am

SP1, Cable and Mic stand for $20

Hydroman52

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:33 am

Hello Andy,

The short executive summary answer:

I have not tried the SP1. I would not consider the SP1 for my primary mic, but would consider it for a back-up.

The long answer:

I went through buying a bunch of microphone equipment about a year ago and the experience still lingers in my mind. I was looking for what I call cheapgood (that’s one word that needs no explanation). Since I live in a doughnut hole of civilization and I must travel 3 – 4 hours round trip to get anywhere that I can do comparison shopping, I do a lot of online shopping and rely on equipment reviews to make many of my decisions. If it is a really expensive item, once I have made my decision, then I will travel the 3 – 4 hours to get the item in my hands and try out.

All that being said, here is my opinion. I have seen the deal that you are talking about and won’t say where it is, because that might violate the rules/ethics of this site. However, I can tell you that I looked at the reviews and sorted them so that I saw the worst first. It appears that most everyone seems somewhat happy with the mic, but disappointed with the stand and cable. One reviewer said that he got a windscreen for the mic for a couple of bucks and he said that made a big difference in the quality.

I already have very dependable mics (I wound up buying Shure SM57 & SM58) for my primary equipment, and wouldn’t be afraid to pop $20 (+ Shipping & Handling?) for the Nady SP1 as a back-up, but not as my primary one. While I was at it, I would add a windscreen for a couple of bucks. If it didn’t meet my expectations, I would donate it to a local school, church, or other organization. If it did meet my expectations, I would buy a couple more at that price and donate them to a local school, church, or other organization.

If you do decide to buy the SP1, please let us know if it is cheapgood.

Hope this helps,
Hydroman52

songman52

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi Andy. How do you plan to use it? Around the house through an acoustic amp? Through a small PA? Through a rack type of PA? For personal use (around the house, announcements in church or such) I don't know if quality of sound is that important.

For use with a larger PA, especially with monitors and/or other mics then you want to look at the pattern (cardioid, supercardioid, etc.) and things like feedback rejection.

I have a couple of inexpensive mics I've used for noodling around the house and they're fine. For use with a large PA I have a SM58 and a Beta87A (which I LOVE!; note that it uses phantom power). I've bought an inexpensive setup like you describe just for the stand and consider the mic a bonus.

If you're not counting on using the mic for "professional" sound (though it might work, not saying it won't) I'd go for the deal.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

dennisg

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:38 pm

pbraun

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:39 pm

I am not e if my question is related or not but here is is. I noticed on the collaberation of Heart of Gold and other videos that some are wearing headphones. Are you listening to a track of the song or yourself playing. I guess the same question is when a performer has the earpiece in while they play or sing what are they listening to? Does it make it easier to play correctly? I have a more difficlut time playing along with the record, probably because I am playing it slower.
Thanks
Pete

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:30 pm

So it sounds like for the $20 its a good deal. Not top of the line of course, but very serviceable for my home needs.

Thanks everyone!

BigBear

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Andy- Nady has been around forever and they are best know, I believe, for their wireless UHF/VHF systems which include lavallier and regular mics.

They always seem like a good value and I would place them in the upper middle of audio gear. There is much better stuff out there but the price jump may not be worth the incremental increase in performance.

And besides, how wrong can you be for $20? :cheer:

goldleaf

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Andy, I got a cheap microphone with my small 200w w/ 7 plugins PA system, combo 1/4" and XLR on each one. I had to keep adjusting the volume, treble etc. to prevent feedback. I eventually bought a Shure 58 and got a adapter to 1/8" so I could use it on my Sony FS 200 minicam, it improved the sound on both my small PA system and my videocam & from what I've read they last forever. It's an investment but everytime I use it I'm glad I paid the extra, you can get them used for cheap also. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic