Big Apple Computer Event!

d_dog

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Today is the day, 30 min. left! Apple is announcing some new product, possibly the tablet computer and maybe a new iPhone or at least new iPhone software! Man I wish I could be there. Yes, I've drank the Apple Koolaid :laugh: Aside from guitars and music, all things Apple is my second passion.

mcfingers

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Amen Brother.

I am a total Machead too. I love this product release from a year ago or so.

dennisg

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:41 pm

d_dog wrote:
Today is the day, 30 min. left! Apple is announcing some new product, possibly the tablet computer and maybe a new iPhone or at least new iPhone software! Man I wish I could be there. Yes, I've drank the Apple Koolaid :laugh: Aside from guitars and music, all things Apple is my second passion.
It's been announced. The new iPad is here!

- the power of its multi-touch interface makes iPhone look primitive by comparison
- 10 hours of battery life in wifi browsing mode -- 30 days in standby mode
- runs all 140,000 iPhone apps in original size or double size
- showing demonstration of NY Times: "Jump to sections, look at articles. Reading experience is great, tap to change number of columns, resize text at a pinch. Jump to sports to see latest Olympic coverage. Emebedded video. Can turn on updates to get breaking news in all the sections."
- demonstrating Major League Baseball app: "Live game experience with data from last April. Navigate league scoreboard across the top. Shows you every throw. Tap any player to flip open baseball card. Show video highlights while this is going on. Across the bottom you can see box score, field, line up, summary. Watch live with your choice of home or away announceres. Enhance with live data from MLB.com while you watch."
- demonstrating new iBooks feature: "Hitting the store button is like a secret passageway. It flips around. If you've used iTunes or the App Store, you're already familiar. Prices look like they very between $7.99 and $14.99. Buying Teddy Kennedy's memoir. You can get a sample if you want, but Steve's going to tap and buy. Downloads right onto the bookshelf. "It's just so simple." Just tap if you want to read. Tap anywhere on the right fo flip forward, on the left to flip back. Drag page if you want to slowly turn the page. Go to Table of Contents and pick a chapter. Photos, black and white, color, video in your books. Change the font size if you want, bigger or smaller."
- runs special iPad version of iWork suite: Pages, Keynote, Numbers
- easily connects to slide projectors
- built-in wireless, optional 3G cellular; monthly data plan in U.S. through AT&T only $14.99 or $29.99 for unlimited data -- no contract required; prepaid; intend to have international deals in place by June or July
- prices start at $499 USD. $499 for 16GB is the base model. For 32GB it's $100 more, for another $100 you get 64GB of storage. The 3G models cost an extra $130 to build in radios. $629, $729, $829. These are the six models. The most expensive model is just $829. Unbelievable price.
- availability: wireless-only models available internationally in 60 days, 3G models in 90 days
- really great accessories as well. There's a dock! When you're in lock screen, it puts you in the slideshow, so you have a great picture frame. Another dock WITH A KEYBOARD. Just slide your iPad into it. Charge your iPad and if you need to do a lot of typing, this is the way to go. Third accessory is a really nice case, doubles as a stand for typing, or watching video.
- if you've used an iPhone or iPod touch, you already know how to use the iPad

tovo

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:36 pm

All hail Jobs. Seriously I laugh when I watch Microsucks make "new" releases of software that Apple has had on the market for several years in some cases.

The tablet looks more suited to entertainment than working environments at first glance, but whatever it does I bet it does it better than any other device.

RicksPick

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:43 pm

LOl just watched it

Just a bigger ipod to sell books
Nice looking though

RicksPick

sws626

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:49 pm

I'm an Apple fan, but I just don't get this one. Why would I want a bigger version of the iPhone. I would have been interested in an ultraportable MacBook. Aside from having a bigger screen and running through batteries more quickly, this doesn't do that much more than a phone. Or have I missed something.

dennisg

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:00 pm

sws626 wrote:
I'm an Apple fan, but I just don't get this one. Why would I want a bigger version of the iPhone. I would have been interested in an ultraportable MacBook. Aside from having a bigger screen and running through batteries more quickly, this doesn't do that much more than a phone. Or have I missed something.
To answer your question, yes, you've missed something. It runs the kind of productivity apps that the iPhone or iPod touch can't begin to deal with. Apple didn't release an ultraportable laptop because netbooks are just crippled versions of portable computers. I think this product is freaking awesome, and I can see applications for it in just about every market segment: business, education, and home. Wait'll you see what you'll be able to do with magazines and newspapers that have never been done before. People have been lamenting the upcoming death of the publishing industry -- well, I think this single product is going to do more to generate magazine and newspaper subscriptions than anything else. I honestly believe it will do for publishing what the original iPod did for music -- give people a new way to enjoy it. And I can see this product absolutely dominating the education market. What student wouldn't want to view a textbook on this thing, to come across a photo or name you're not familiar with, and to get search results in seconds, all at a single touch? The iPad is going to do so much more than I can even begin to predict.

johnrfeeney

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:00 pm

yep love the mac

dennisg

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Here's the iPad video:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

TGJIM

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Man I want this just to have and play with. Thing is I have a little Acer netbook for around the house that I love. I even put in 2GB ram for the little beast. I use it all over the house in addition to my regular work laptop and dedicated gaming computer which is getting dusty.

If the touch keypad on this thing rocks and I can put firefox on it then I have to do it. If my son sees it he will be persuading me heavily :)

Now if Apple could only make sharing my Itunes library between all the PC's in my house work correctly... (yes the ports are open)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic