Formats, which is best to use for youtube videos?

heyjoe

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:04 am

Andy

So if I google divx and download it, erm, what do I do with it?

I've had a look at avs in the past, and if I can get my avi's to work on WMM, then I'd prefer to go that way at the moment, as it suits my needs.
Will have more of a look at avs when I have the time.

Also I'm looking into customising WMM to do some other things for me, I've found a WMM forum which has some interesting options which I may use on a video or two on TG in the future.

Thanks

Joe

AndyT

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:07 am

heyjoe

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:10 am

Didn't someone famous say " ask and you shall receive" or something like that?

Thanks Andy

AndyT

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:13 am

Yep.. Someone VERY famous... LOL

Anytime Joe.

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks Andy!

I figured if he was having A/V issues like that, it had to be a codec problem. I think the codec pack that I have is K-Lite or something like that. I know that there are several sites that you can get a free copy of it. Divx and XVID are the most popular for avi. XVID is the newer of the two, but the Divx is better if you plan on playing your files in your stand alone player at home (at least the one I have....)

MJ

heyjoe

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:06 am

Andy, MJ

I've just downloaded the codec pack and its worked! You don't know how happy this makes me! No more covnerting files to get them onto WMM..I was a bit unsure about codecs but once I've read into them a bit, they make more sense, and knowing you two have used them means I'm not as worried about using them.

ALso, I have the amplifier arrange for pick up a week on saturday ( cant go this weekend), so sound will be sorted soon as well, I best get on and learn some more songs so I can record them

Thanks very very much

Joe

Catman

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 pm

wrench wrote:
Hey Joe,

Both files loaded the same for me. so I wonder if YouTube was still processing when David loaded them. T

Dan
Dan,

I revisited the videos as a result of your comment and the difference in load time was indeed much smaller.

David

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:20 pm

heyjoe wrote:
Andy, MJ

I've just downloaded the codec pack and its worked! You don't know how happy this makes me! No more covnerting files to get them onto WMM..I was a bit unsure about codecs but once I've read into them a bit, they make more sense, and knowing you two have used them means I'm not as worried about using them.

ALso, I have the amplifier arrange for pick up a week on saturday ( cant go this weekend), so sound will be sorted soon as well, I best get on and learn some more songs so I can record them

Thanks very very much

Joe
Joe:

Glad to help. Now get that amp and have some fun!

MJ

AndyT

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:42 pm

Just happy to be of service Joe. Glad it worked.

heyjoe

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi all

switched the laptop off earlier, came to turn it on and system said laptop could not be started, and would we like to restore to a point where there was not a problem, but certain applications would be lost.

guess which applications were removed, yup, the codecs!

So back to square one, I may just stay with the file conversion option, as I'm still getting decent quality, and when I get the amp, my audio levels will improve.

So after all, problems solved. I get a good set up for recording, which I understand, which is all I'm looking for.

Time to get back to practising

Thanks all for you help

Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic