Formats, which is best to use for youtube videos?

heyjoe

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Hello All

As some of you know, I got a new HD Camcorder recently. Whilst working out how to use it I've realised a few things. 1. Windows movie maker doesnt like AVI files and 2. file conversion is a minefield!

Anyway, the camcorder I have doesn't have the facility to connect the guitar directly to it. So, I've been having a play around and I'd like your opinions on the following 2 videos, opinions primarily on the sound and picture quality please.

The first video is me recording using the camcorder facility, converted from an AVI to MPEG format

Second video is me using the same camcorder, for this one I've connected the guitar to my laptop and done an audio recording ( which came with the webcam) and mixed it in using windows movie maker. So this has been converted from AVI to MPEG to WMV.

As you can tell, they are both quite different sounds, the first video is more natural, but lower volume, the second is better volume but more processed, what do you think?

As for the tunes, just a couple of songs I've taken from a fingerstyle book, and use them to practice (their fingering technique is different to a lot I've seen, so trying it out to see why they use it)

So, let me know what you think please.

Thanks

Joe

Catman

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:29 pm

I don't know if there is a significant difference in file sizes, but the first video loaded much faster than the second.

I found the second video's audio to have an "irritating" quality to it. It took me a while to realize that this is because there is only one active channel--the right one, unless I have my speakers switched around. The other channel is silent. I suppose you could fix that quite easily in the audio recording software.

For me, the fast loading of the first video is more important than the better audio quality of the second.

Can you use an external mic with the camcorder?

David

Music Junkie

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Joe:

I think either one would do just fine.

I am a bit confused about the fact that you are having trouble with WMM working with .avi files though. They always import just fine for me. Also, why are you converting from avi to mpeg and then to wmv, instead of just avi to wmv?????? In fact, why convert to wmv at all??? Except I guess that is the default format for WMM...... Youtube should except avi just fine as well. The least number of times you unpack and repack it the better...... What format does your recorder give you when done recording????

At any rate, I think the A/V on both is just fine. The extra volume is kind of nice..... Do you have the capability to use an external microphone on your video camera???? That might be a nice boost as well.

MJ

RicksPick

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi Joe

Good to see you

Picture quality on both is very good,maybe slightly better in 1

Why do you need to convert to mpeg?
Is it because it reduces file size?

Sound quality is good in both
1 is quite and natural
2 is processed but still natural-ish

I have the same problem if i play unplugged its very quirt and hit the strings harder for recording, suppose external mic would sort that but not an option on my camcorder

So I try to use an amp, not acoustic but no need to thrash my guitar
and end up with the same processed sound.

RicksPick

wrench

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Hey Joe,

Both files loaded the same for me. so I wonder if YouTube was still processing when David loaded them. The videos looked the same to me, and the volume was quite low on the first one, which is going to happen because the mic is in the camera. Is moving the cam closer to you an option to get the mic closer? So, you have good success there with plugging the guitar into your laptop, but if you prefer a more acoustic sound you would also be successful with an external mic plugged into your laptop.

Dan

goldleaf

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Joe the second one souuded like it had more bass but I was only receiving on one channel. The video was good on both. If you could get stereo on the 2nd method you might have more control over your sound? Gary

heyjoe

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, just to clarify a few points, hd camcorder doesnt have an option to connect guitar to it, or to connect mic- first video i did was using camcorders in built mic, hence the quietness.

for some reason windows movie maker doesnt like the avi files, it'll play the video, but with no audio, it seems to be a problem with a lot of camcorders these days. I've checked on various websites, and its an issue for lots of people, so thats why I convert to mpeg, I tried converting down to wmv, but there was a lot of loss, for some reason avi to mpeg ( for movie maker) then to wmv is better.

Second video only had one channel as its recorded thru a mono cable, I'd forgotten about that.

I more than happy with the video quality, just need to focus on the sound, I'm hoping that getting the camcorder closer, and getting my nails longer will mean more sound...failing that, its amplification time, and idea I hadnt thought of.

Thanks very much

Joe

p.s transistor amplifier close to the mic of the webcam would give better, more natural results, wouldnt it? Time to make a call and get one of my amps out of storage!

Music Junkie

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Joe:

I use AVS for video conversion. I have the latest "free codec" pack I could find by googling. When I do my conversions (usually from mpeg or wmv to avi so I can watch things on my DVD player), I have never really had any problems. However, I have not ever gone to mpeg or wmv, so it may be a problem going that way. Sorry bout that....

Do you have any other programs that you could use? Or, if you don't want to dress it up in Movie Maker, you could just upload the avi directly to YT. That has worked for me in the past as well.

Hopefully this all makes sense. I am much better at doing than explaining......lol

MJ

heyjoe

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:57 am

MJ

Thanks for the information, I've decided to go the more natural route and for the time being forget about recording using a line from the guitar to my laptop.

I'm going to go get my amp out of storage nd use that with the acoustic, that way, the sound should be much better, the video will be fine and I'll put it straight to youtube as an avi.

That way it'll have less loss on transfer and should be even better quality.

However, if I could find out why windows movie maker imports my avi files with video and no audio, then that would be handy too. I've asked on various forums, and people seem to think I need a codec, but thats exactly where my knowledge ends! have no idea what one is, or how to get it, or how to use it, so any knowledge you have in that area would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Joe

AndyT

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:51 am

Joe, Google the term: DivX You will get a site where you can download the DivX codec and it should solve your avi problems with WMM. Or skip the problem all together and go with AVS Video Editor. It blows WMM away.

www.avs4you.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic