Knowledgeable guitar gurus tell me about this unit pls..

TGMatt

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:25 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/1998-John-Zeidler-A ... 3efc69ef18

1998 John Zeidler Archback Dreadnought Excalibur Acoustic Guitar

This 1998 John Zeidler Archback Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar model Excalibur is truly a unique one of a kind treasure. This is the archback Excalibur model. It has an arched back with a flat top. This guitar was handmade by John Zeidler (1958-2002) himself for a local San Francisco Bay Area Musician Ken Gerber in 1998. In September 2009 this guitar was featured in Acoustic Guitar Magazine. According to our client this guitar was once played by Rusty Anderson, best known as the lead guitarist for Paul McCartney, one night before going on stage. Its also been played by Richie Furay of Buffalo Springfield (pictures included). According to our client similar archback John Zeidler guitars have sold for over $35,000.

This guitar is in mint, near flawless condition. There is only a tiny surface scratch on the body as pictured. Included is a custom hard carrying case & papers.

Features:

* Engraved Waverly Tuners
* Curly Maple Back and Sides
* Wide/Low Profile Neck
* Custom Hand Carved Bridge
* Vertical Diamond Inlays on Bass Side of Fingerboard
* Mustache Headstock
* All Tortoise Purfling
* Inlay at 12th Fret "K.WM. GERBER"
* Serial Number 0169
* Measures 40.5" in length

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:40 am

Acousticguitar magazine did a review last year,

According to Gerber, the guitar’s tone “is right down the middle between a dreadnought and an archtop, with a little Gibson J-200 jumbo flavor and a lot of bite.” Gerber also appreciates the playability and range accessible via the guitar’s wide neck and cutaway. Although he took a leap of faith when trusting Zeidler with his design ideas, the guitar is also a constant reminder of just how gifted a builder Zeidler was.

As these were custom made the owners intials were engraved into the truss rod cover.

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:43 am

More from the review

Luthier John Zeidler passed away in 2002, but over the course of a 27-year career, he built everything from archtops (which he was most known for) and mandolins to pedal steels and double-necked solid-body electric guitars. As the cutaway dreadnought pictured here demonstrates, he also wasn’t afraid to blend various styles if it meant meeting a player’s specific needs.

The instrument’s owner, San Francisco guitarist Jake Gerber, met Zeidler, then based in Philadelphia, at the 1998 Acoustic Guitar Festival in San Rafael, California. After playing a few guitars, Gerber was dazzled by the variety and quality of Zeidler’s work. In fact, he was impressed to the point of total indecision. “I really wanted a dreadnought but got excited by the Jazz Deluxe archtop he had there,” Gerber says. “At one point, I thought I really wanted a Jazz Deluxe with a wider, classical-style neck.” But as Zeidler watched Gerber play, he sensed that he really needed something else—a dreadnought with a cutaway and a classical-width neck.

Gerber was quickly sold on the idea, but his impressions of playing the Jazz Deluxe remained quite strong, so his dreadnought ended up with several archtop-inspired design features. The back and sides, for instance, are flamed maple, and the back has a pronounced arch. The body depth also tapers significantly, resulting in a shallower heel that eases access to the higher frets.

Zeidler also added his large archtop headstock, diamond-shaped abalone fretboard inlay, and a bridge shape designed collaboratively through drawings sent back and forth between the player and builder.

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:45 am

After he passed away a group of master craftsmen made the guitar detailed in this link using his methods the guitar was to be sold to pay for his medical expenses his family incurred. It was expecetd to sell for $100k

http://www.newportguitarfestival.com/2004/zeidler.html

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:57 am

Another site that might interest you, 3 of them for sale.

http://www.3zeidlers.com/builder.htm

dennisg

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:47 am

I don't really have anything to add that the article hasn't covered.

I have several really nice guitars, not quite in that price range, but expensive nonetheless. So perhaps my experience buying them can help. If you are looking at that guitar seriously, the only thing that matters is how it feels in your hands. At that price range I'd expect something close to orgasmic every time I picked it up.

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 pm

wandoctor wrote:
I don't really have anything to add that the article hasn't covered.

I have several really nice guitars, not quite in that price range, but expensive nonetheless. So perhaps my experience buying them can help. If you are looking at that guitar seriously, the only thing that matters is how it feels in your hands. At that price range I'd expect something close to orgasmic every time I picked it up.
Thats true Nick only if its meant to be played if its an investment then doesn't matter. I read a few other reviews and they only get great ones. The thing being most if not all his guitars were built to order and were crafted to suit an individual style of playing, It would be fair to say there is no two alike making them unique. I can hear some of the guys saying already 'What owning a guitar like that for investment and NOt Playing It!!"

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:55 pm

But even cheap guitars get great reviews. Check out Harmony Central.

I know nothing about investing in guitars. Good luck.

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:10 pm

wandoctor wrote:
But even cheap guitars get great reviews. Check out Harmony Central.

I know nothing about investing in guitars. Good luck.
And some guitars that were cheap in their day are now investments, go figure!

TGMatt

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:38 pm

THx folks..some food for thought..

I am reading Guitar Afficanado and meeting a proffessional investor at present..This one was something I liked the idea of sitting somewhere in the middle, Invest and play a lot...

Cheers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic