Knowledgeable guitar gurus tell me about this unit pls..

jakobian

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Well,I don't know what to say. My name is Jake Gerber aka Kenneth Wm. Gerber. Yes,I was indeed the owner of the one off Zeidler's Excaliber. This is a true story. John and I had worked together in respect to getting the end all for my guitar style. We went back and forth for fourteen months before guitar was completed. I still have the receipt and all the ideas written down on paper.
I have very large hands,not heavy,actually very thin fingers.
I did not want to have a cutaway at first,but John knew how I played,especially these four and and fret spreads chording inversions. I tried a couple of his cutaways and agreed,it was a good idea,that was an extra $500. Then we got to the neck. I wanted a classical width neck and we both agreed on that,I play much cleaner when I have some room. The question was,do I want a jazz oriented or something else ? I was split on this and we came up with the idea of having an arched back. Then the head-stock,which is more in line with Johns jazz guitars.I also was tired of everything being abalone or whatever for bindings and inlays. I love the faux tortoise ,it is so classic in appearance.
I also wanted the carved Waverly heads. The ebony fingerboard was a fait accompli on his guitars.
Next,did I want any position markers. I suggested just very subtle inlay on upper part of fingerboard.This guitar was in no way garish.
Lastly the woods and finish. He said given the fact that so much time and effort went into this guitar that I may want to go full tilt and pay for this varnish that apparently was a handmade mixture he used on the top of the line instruments. Im glad I went for that,the smell of the varnish when I opened the case was that of a vintage violin. I still have that sensory memory.
At the time I felt this would be the last acoustic I would ever buy and certainly never sell it,hence" KENNETH WM.GERBER" in scroll font on 12th fret. That was it. John Zeidler was one of the most humble and talented people I have ever know. Honest to the core. I feel fortunate that I had the opportunity to work with him in respect to making an instrument that was for all intents the best I have or will ever own. It made me a better and cleaner player. Every suggestion John made was spot on and he did not suggest things to bring up the dollar amount,more in line with what would make me the best possible player I could be.
I cannot put into words my feelings about this guitar. I am a serious player,both using fingers and pick. This guitar had it all. The craftsmanship was unparalleled and I used to play this instrument possibly four hours a day.Used it on sessions and as you have read,a few other people played it while I owned it. Without exception it blew everyone away. Not only was the action true all the way up the scale,but the sound was to die for. It had a flat top and arched back. I couldn't explain how much this guitar meant to me.
This is true. I fell on hard times as I invested money with someone named Liudmila Kondakova. This woman stole everything I had and the impending legal battle over intellectual properties took every dime I had and I had to borrow on top of that. In the end I lost the lawsuit as I could not afford the attorneys fees any-longer. Trust me on this. Crime pays if you live in the USA.
After all was said and done I was a single dad with a thirteen year old daughter that had nothing but debt. I will never forget the day I went to the pawnshop and pawned the Zeidler. When I got home and reflected on everything that guitar meant to me,I actually vomited. I was shaking like a leaf. I had three months to get the guitar back and to Michael's credit and Pacific Loan he called me and gave me extra time to come up with the money. Bottom line I had a nervous breakdown and did not go outside for over six months. I was angry,sad and certainly disillusioned about the judicial system in this country.
As Michael told me,it was a rare occasion when they would get an instrument that meant so much to someone that he actually did everything in his power to let me pay off at least the interest. I was financially ruined by this time.
I went back to the store maybe six months later and he told me it was sold. I asked who the buyer was of course and what he paid for it. This was not to be told to me. Obviously the 12 fret with my name on it would be of no use to the new owner. I went to the place that apparently removed the inlay with my name on it. I asked if I could possibly have it. The said they didn't know what happened to it.
Now all I have left are the papers with drawings and the bill of sale in 1998.
I kept in touch with John and when he told me about his illness ,I almost cried over the phone. I know this all sounds overly dramatic ,but there are some things in life that really shake your faith and this was one of them .I'm a composer of serious music. By that I mean I write pieces for string quartets as well as pop oriented music. At my age ,one must accept the reality that you need some talented young person to interpret your songs. C'est la vie.
Here it is almost Christmas and I just had to go online and see if there was anything about the guitar and it led e here. You do get what you pay for. Someday,somehow I will find the owner in the hope that he would sell me back the guitar. Of course I could never afford it. My understanding is that it sold for very little money in respect to what it was worth and still is worth.If anyone knows the whereabouts of the owner,please have him or her contact me. I would like the knowledge that the person is a good and honorable player. I don't have a clue as to what it bears on the 12th fret now ?
This has been a very interesting post and I can't believe I took advantage of this cathartic exercise. It still hurts...
On the upside. Everyone have a safe and wonderful holiday and treasure your guitars,kiss them good night ...
Best
Jake Gerber
S.F.CA. Image

jakobian

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:14 pm

PLEASE ... I beg of the person that may possibly want to buy this guitar as an investment. This guitar is meant to be played,played everyday and nurtured for what it is. To have the capital to invest in a guitar with the idea of appreciating value rather than using the instrument for what it is made for i.e playability bothers me immensely . If indeed you do buy this particular Zeidler ,po make your investment please let me know. I don't know what it would take to buy it back someday,but if I ever make the grade ,as it were,this would be the first thing I would acquire. To have that guitar again,I can't even put into words.
Best
Jake Gerber
Ps. Does it still have my name on 12th fret as suggested ? It would be Kenneth Wm. Gerber.

TGNesh

Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:15 am

Wow.....that's quite a story Jake, I feel for you man, hope you'll get a hold of it someday or at least find out what happened to it....

All the best to you!

cheers

Vanessa

cosmicmechanic

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:57 am

Jake, I also hope that the stars will align for you, and that you can lay this to rest with some kind of satisfaction.

Your story brings to mind a video I had included in post here on TG over a year ago.
It' a song that surely holds a bit of poetry applicable to your touching personal story, so I think it's worth adding it here too.

In 2009, Tommy Emmanuel came to Montreal, and introduced a surprise guest, Patrick Norman, who is very popular in country and bluegrass circles hereabouts.

They played one of Patrick's songs. The title is "La guitare de Jérémie" (Jeremy's Gutiar).
It tells the story of a musician who finds a soot-covered guitar in a second-hand shop that has an inscription on it's back: "I am Jeremy's guitar".
The guitar turns out to be magical, and plays as if by itself when it is in his hands.
It follows its new owner through all his musical adventures in low-life haunts.
Eventually a shady lady disappears with his car, and the guitar is in the car. The magical guitar is gone forever.
So ... poignant ending ... the forlorn musician often dreams of a voice saying "Here, take my guitar ... my name is Jeremy".

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic