Neil Young Honoured

reiver

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:23 pm

From the BBC website,

Young celebrates charity honour

Singer-songwriter Neil Young enjoyed 20 of his best known hits sung by the likes of Elton John as he was honoured by the US Recording Academy.

Young, 64, was named the Musicares person of the year for his "influential artistic accomplishments and philanthropic work".

John sang Helpless and told the audience Young was "my hero".

"It's been a great night. It wore me out. Now I've got to go back and try and write some more songs," Young said.

The US Recording Academy awards the Grammys, so the event kicked off the Grammy weekend - the awards take place on Sunday night.

'Best music'

Other performances at the Los Angeles Convention Centre came from artists including James Taylor, Elvis Costello, Keith Urban, John Forgarty, Dave Matthews, Sheryl Crowe and Norah Jones.

Actor Jack Black was host for the evening.

Young was honoured for his charity work, including his support of Farm Aid and the Bridge School Concerts, which raise money to provide services for children with severe physical and speech impairments.

Young has two sons who have cerebral palsy.

The tribute was attended by over 2,000 guests.

"I'd forgotten how many songs I'd written," Young said.

Young's former bandmates - Stills, David Crosby and Graham Nash - took to the stage last.

"We made some of the best music of our lives with you, man," Crosby said, a previous winner of the award himself.

Other recipients include Aretha Franklin, Neil Diamond and Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.

MusiCares was established by the US Recording Academy in 1989 to provide assistance to musicians in times of financial, medical or personal emergency.

Young was born in Canada and rose to worldwide fame in the 1960s. His hits include Heart of Gold and Old Man.

Sounds like a good night!

r

tovo

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:50 pm

I wouldn't have picked that Elton John would be participating in a Neil Young tribute but there you go. (There's no hidden meaning there I was just surprised)

Lavallee

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:59 pm

I am glad that Neil Young gets some recognition not only for his music.

Marc

wadestar

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:43 pm

Yes and because of his sons he started a toy company for the disabled, toy trains was a big one for Neil he loves them, so he made a way for his sons to play. Then it grew into a biz.

TGMatt

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:22 am

Both Neils love model trains..

And I think I Dis-honoured him on the same day with my video upload..sorry Neil, your still a legend..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic