Patrick Woods

BobR

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:18 pm

A guy I work with showed me this. I thought it was rather interesting. The guitar and the capo. I have not heard of Patrick Woods. Do I live under a rock?

Bob

AndyT

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Never heard of him, but I know his guitar quite well. He is playing a Wechter Pathmaker. Really nice guitar. A friend of mine has one. The action on it is preset at the factory and is very low. It plays like an electric. Not sure which pickup system this guy uses, but they have a 3 element system as an option that is just amazing. You can blend any or all of the pickups to get the sound you want. And I really love the double cut-away.

Strange thing is, my friend likes my Gracie better than his Wechter.

http://www.wechterguitars.com/models/Pa ... ite_Series

tovo

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:55 pm

Never heard of him Bob, kinda makes me feel inadequate! That is awesome, thanks for the look.

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:12 pm

I just joined the neverheardofhimclub also. I checked out those guitars considerably cheaper than I imagined. This guy would be in the Andy McKee class

AndyT

Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:35 pm

I'm not sure what you call that style of playing, tapping maybe, but the more I hear it, the less impressed I am with it.

Don't get me wrong, they are very talented and it sounds very cool, but I suspect its not as hard to do as it sounds. I've tried it and I've been able to get some nice sounds but not at the level of this guy and Andy McKee. I think it might actually be easier to play this way in the long run than a good fingerpicked style.

Just my 2 pence.

wadestar

Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:58 pm

He cuts notches in the capo so some strings ring from the other side, this is used for some players that want a quick open tunning. Hats off good tune, and nice guitar!

wadestar

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:04 pm

AndyT wrote:
Never heard of him, but I know his guitar quite well. He is playing a Wechter Pathmaker. Really nice guitar. A friend of mine has one. The action on it is preset at the factory and is very low. It plays like an electric. Not sure which pickup system this guy uses, but they have a 3 element system as an option that is just amazing. You can blend any or all of the pickups to get the sound you want. And I really love the double cut-away.

Strange thing is, my friend likes my Gracie better than his Wechter.

http://www.wechterguitars.com/models/Pa ... ite_Series

Wow the price sure is good eh!

cosmicmechanic

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:15 am

AndyT wrote:
The action on it is preset at the factory and is very low. It plays like an electric ... Strange thing is, my friend likes my Gracie better than his Wechter
Andy, what effect does this low action have on the sound when hitting chords?

Is this why your friend has second thoughts about this guitar?

Pierre

AndyT

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:04 am

Pierre,

There is no buzzing on the frets. The action makes the guitar very easy to play. The sound is very clean.
My Gracie has a higher action and he prefers it over the Wechter. That's why I think its strange. But he wouldn't trade guitars, I've already asked him. LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic