Does physical fitness have a place in guitar playing?

heyjoe

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Hey folks

Just been having a practice today (or a bonus practice as I'm calling it as I wasn't expecting to get the chance to have one today), and a thought suddenly occurred to me.

We all know that mental strength is needed to play the guitar, the determination to continue practicing and putting yourself through it for days, weeks, months and years to get what you finally want- the resolve needed to build up the callouses, the hurt the pain etc et you know the score

What I was wondering was, does physical fitness have a place in guitar playing? Do people who are physically fit have any advantages over those who arent, when it comes to playing guitar, I'm thinking of things like the ability to learn quicker, more and faster muscle memory, the ability to practise for longer periods of time, quicker recovery? Those sort of things?

At the moment, I most certainly have the mental strength to practice, my head is in a very very good place, and has been for a while ( its amazing what a house move can do), and while its improving, I'm wondering if working on the body would give better guitar results.

I know there are a few people out there who will have some knowledge of this, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you say.

and yes, this is because I'm trying to motivate myself to do more exercise, before you ask!lol

Joe

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Yes Joe, you have our permission the get fit!
:-)

TGMatt

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Stellar laugh at Chris..

But yeah , fitness effects mental strength as well mate. The head is actually attached to the rest of the body , the stronger you become physically the stronger you become mentally, the more flexible you become physically, the more flexible you become mentally,

The biochemistry of being fit has a huge impact on every part of the body and brain, then I think their are more obvious things like hand strength , being able to hold your neck at certain angles for longer, being able to sit in certain ways or stand if you are playing, this takes core strength (stomach etc) , and also leg strength and posture issues into account..

It could be argued that Eddie Van Halen or many others never did anything to "workout" for guitar, but by the sheer act of playing 6-8 hours a day every day they were in fact training ...

Getting fit, getting stronger is something that should just be on everyones menu, especially as you hit 40+....many studies have shown that lifting weights for instance into your 90's has had a dramatic impact on subjects lives,....it just makes sense all round to make a part of your life staying fit, building and retaining muscle, and staying as healthy as you can, the payoff is you will be healthier mentally, and no doubt guitar playing skills will benefit..

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Right now the only workouts i get in are lifting 12 oz. But hey if it will help my guitar playing i'll start pumping some iron. Thanks for the advice Matt.

- Catfish

wadestar

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:11 pm

catfishlinn wrote:
Right now the only workouts i get in are lifting 12 oz. But hey if it will help my guitar playing i'll start pumping some iron. Thanks for the advice Matt.

- Catfish
Get BB King to run a few laps then I will.

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks

BigBear

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:36 pm

Joe- I think getting fit is a great idea for anyone. In fact, just yesterday I was ordered to get fit by my doctor so there are big changes ahead for the Bear. I might end up the Little Bear! lol!

General, cardio fitness is great but has very little to do with playing the guitar except for overall well being. It may help mental acuity and make you more alert at the times you practice.

And if you feel better overall it will help lift your mood and make playing the guitar even more fun, right! :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks

TGMatt

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:59 pm

I can see a whole fitness programming course coming here .. hiring Richard simmons .. breaking out the Rock leotards .. doing all sorts iof air guitar yoga ..

oh man I could go on for hours

tovo

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Whoa be careful with this fitness stuff Joe. IF I were fit I would be much more inclined to get up off the couch and then my guitar practice would surely suffer! Best not to tempt fate. I for one intend to stay fat and lazy. I encourage you all to follow my lead.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic