Lightfoot Alive and Well

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Canadian icon Gordon Lightfoot said he was headed to the dentist when he heard on the radio that he was dead.

The folk legend, whose hits include If You Could Read My Mind, Sundown and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, took the news lightheartedly and was soon on the phone with Toronto-based all-news station CP24.

"I'm fine, everything is good. I don't know where it comes from. It seems like a bit of a hoax or something," the 71-year-old singer said. "I was quite surprised to hear [it] myself.

"I haven't had so much airplay on my music now for weeks."

The initial reports of Lightfoot's death appeared on Canwest news sites on Thursday afternoon, spreading instantaneously across many blogs and Twitter posts.

The report was discovered to be untrue within minutes of the news being posted.

B.C. Fiedler Management, Lightfoot's concert tour promoters, put out a quick statement proclaiming Lightfoot "is alive and in good health" and that the report was "false and completely without merit."

"This is just an unfortunate prank," said promoter Bernie Fiedler.

In fact, the singer's 12-city spring tour of Eastern Canada, Quebec and Ontario kicks off at the end of March starting in St. John's.

Lightfoot has been beset by health problems over the past few years. He suffered a ruptured artery in his stomach in 2002.

One report of the fake death attributed the news to fellow singer Ronnie Hawkins.

Hawkins says he heard the rumour through his management firm in the U.S., which told him that they heard it by phone from someone claiming to be Lightfoot's grandson.

"Oh what a dirty, sick joke that is, but I'm glad it was a sick joke and not the truth," Hawkins said.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010 ... z0g0nu59K9

Music Junkie

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Chas:

I saw an article about his death yesterday and it bummed me out. I then Googled it and found it to be a hoax, which relieved me! I find it hard to understand why people do what they do sometimes, but I was glad to hear that he is alive and well!

MJ

BigBear

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:19 pm

What are you guys worried about? I read the obituary every day just to make sure I'm not in there! :laugh:

haoli25

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Gordon will write a song about this. :)

Music Junkie

Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:53 pm

BigBear wrote:
What are you guys worried about? I read the obituary every day just to make sure I'm not in there! :laugh:
What the hell are you gonna do when your name shows up in there????? I am just hoping you are here to read it.... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Music Junkie

Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:54 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Gordon will write a song about this. :)
LOL Bill!

Don't doubt that one bit.... :P

BigBear

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
BigBear wrote:
What the hell are you gonna do when your name shows up in there????? I am just hoping you are here to read it.... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I'm worried that I'll be the last to know! :silly:

songman52

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Well, the morning I see my name in the obituaries, I'm not going in to work that day! I may just take off the whole week!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic