TSUNAMI STRIKE!

TGMatt

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:27 pm

Well Neil just spoke to Becca..She is going to school in Hilo, The epicentre of the thing, and they are all good, perched up high waiting to see what happens..Hilo was destroyed 50 years ago and has a Tsunami centre that Neil was telling me about...

So all appears ok ...and were here perched in front of CNN....great coverage....

izzyhara

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:29 pm

I have been watching also and it looks like it won't be devastating. However, a tsunami also hit New Zealand, and that makes me worry about our TG friends there. May all be safe. Izzy

AndyT

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:44 pm

My Coast Guard unit was reduced from High Alert to Standby Alert. We are not expecting anything more than 6-8 feet. Hopefully that's all we get. But it does look like we got lucky and are only getting some peripheral fluctuations of the wave front.

How are you doing in NZ Chas?

More later.

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:52 pm

AndyT wrote:
My Coast Guard unit was reduced from High Alert to Standby Alert. We are not expecting anything more than 6-8 feet. Hopefully that's all we get. But it does look like we got lucky and are only getting some peripheral fluctuations of the wave front.

More later.
Hi Andy, NZ entire East coast still on alert and homes being evacuated as a precaution, no damage reported but latest breaking news is a 1 metre surge has hit Northern part of NZ, up to 3 metres expected in parts of our South Island, the high tides are luckilly not due till later in the day for most parts, had then timing been different things would change, our Civil Defense still anticipate worst yet to come. Large ships in Ports have all been told to move out to Sea. Whilst my area is not in immediate threat area the weather is wierd ,yesterday we had 30 celcius and very sunny with light winds, today its overcast and 21 celcious and calm....

AcousticAl

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:53 pm

AndyT wrote:

More later.

Good to hear it's not as bad as originally thought.

Keep us posted, Chas.

heyjoe

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Our thoughts are with everyone who is on tsunami alert and those in chile.

We're channel hopping between Sky and CNN, great coverage.

Happy that our friends on here and their families are safe, hoping that this stays this way.

Joe

izzyhara

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:14 pm

God bless you Andy
God bless you Chas

And prayers for everyone involved in this latest tragedy.....

Glad we are all sharing this on the forum. It gives me great comfort.....

AndyT

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:15 pm

My Unit has received a Stand Down notice. We will not be needed for this one. Praise God! No lives lost and no damage to speak of.

AndyT

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Thank you so much to everyone. All your prayers were totally welcome! Now we are watching NZ, Midway and Japan.

Craig

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Glad to hear the GREAT news Andy, we will keep our fingers crossed for everybody else!
Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic