TSUNAMI STRIKE!

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:26 pm

Latest from our Civil Defense HQ no major damage expected but coastal warnings still in place and certain areas not likely to be given all clear till after normal High tide times which are approx 4-5 hrs from now. South Island harbour Littleton reported water drew back by 1.5 metres and returned in surge in less than 40 mins, this was the first noticeable event for that harbour. My area not expected to get anything significant but river mouths and river banks of both tidal rivers out of bounds as 1/2 metre surges likely to the worst we get, recent event with the rivers has seen a lot of flood work being completed and stop banks in place in worst areas should easily cope.. CD HQ state had this occurred at High tide we would be dealing with a different event altogether. So I think we are gonna be alright this time... Will keep you posted.

Thanks all for your thoughts and concern over the past few hours.

Andy go and give Gracie a work out now :)

michelew

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:11 pm

What a relief. I'm so glad to hear that you guys and your families, and presumably Neil's daughter, are safe. I know it's not over for everyone yet. But, hopefully it will be a non-event everywhere.

prawnpig

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Glad to hear things are good glad you guys are alright,

Dave

Lavallee

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Glad you guys are OK.

Marc

MarkM

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:11 am

Just got to this string. I'm so happy all looks to be well. Scary times for sure.

MarkM

AndyT

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:11 am

The worst of the water danger is past. Now we need to keep Chile along with Hati in our prayers. Not as much life was lost this time, but the people of Chile still need a lot of help and support.

And it is time to give Gracie a good workout to release some built up tension and stress.

willem

Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:47 am

Glad to hear everythings is well,,,

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:12 am

Happy to hear that TG Land was not affected after all and that everyone can get back to playing their guitars. When I caught the news on CNN yesterday morning I PMd Andy and Chas straight away as they were in bed and I reckoned the first thing they do in the morning is log in to TG (just in case they still had earplugs in and missed the screaming sirens!!) I was wondering, who heard about it all first on TG?

AndyT

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:52 am

We were awaken by the phone telling me to get dressed and report for duty, and my daughter was called early also to come in to work. (She's a surgical nurse).

After getting back from the base, I got the family ready and then we just waited in the living room watching the TV and waiting for the call to duty. That's when I first logged on to TG. Then the sirens went off. AFTER I get home... LOL.

Thanks Chris, your warning would have been my first clue otherwise.

suziko

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:03 am

I was wondering, who heard about it all first on TG?

That'd be me! I read what you wrote, Chris, then told Eric: "There was an 8.8 earthquake in Chile!" Then I thought that maybe I should actually verify that with the regular news. But you turned out to be a reliable source!

Just glad things weren't worse than they are.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic