Question:

AndyT

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:41 pm

To me, there is only One worthy of that title.

hasben

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Andy, to answer your original question: no, the term Guitar God does not offend me. However, neither does the term "devil's advocate". :laugh:

BigBear

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Andy- very interesting question but for me the answer is quite simple. There have been many gods thru the ages; Zeus, Jupiter, Ra, Thor, Odin, Brahman, Buddha, Allah and thousands of others. We Christians only believe in one God, our God.

The significance we attach to those three letters is entirely different than what others may do with the same three letters. If someone wants to call something or someone, a Guitar God, as something they worship and hold above all else, so be it. It has nothing to do with the God of Jesus or Abraham.

As you know, I'm a registered, professional civil engineer in my home state. By law, no one else may call themselves "engineer" unless they are duly licensed and registered. Yet there are all kinds of engineers in our common lexicon including Sanitary Engineers, Railroad Engineers etc. I could care less because of the context the word is used in. The State prohibits others from using the term "engineer" to protect the public from non-engineers practicing real engineering and endangering the public safety.

But no such restriction applies to religious designations because they are just words. There is no downward spiral of society or any other malevolent intent by using the word "god" and Christians would be wise not to attach any such meaning. Christianity is by definition a narrow religion. All are welcome but there is only one path (John 14:6). Christians may not worship any other gods but I doubt that applies to other faiths or non-believers.

Just some food for thought. You and I know who God is and isn't. Calling someone a "Guitar God" isn't blasphemous and we should never take it as such! That's for God to decide! ;)

Cheers! :cheer:

haoli25

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:42 pm

For the record BigBear, I was not "endangering the public safety", it was a calculator malfunction. :laugh:

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic