Question:

AndyT

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:43 am

Ok, Most of you know I'm a Christian Minister, so with that in mind....

Does the phrase "Guitar God" bug anyone else or is it just me?

Chasplaya

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:37 am

Original post deleted, Sorry Andy on reflection there are better places to discuss this. It is a good question but just not here mate.

AndyT

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:51 am

I understand what you are saying Chas, but that's kind of what bugs me about it.

It's become so common in usage that we do not even realize how insulting it can be.

Eric Clapton is the first to deny it when people call him a 'God'. I give him a great deal of credit for that. But why can't we just use words that mean what it is we really want to say? "Awesome" comes to mind. (Awesome: Something or someone that inspires awe, admiration or, veneration in the viewer) Clapton is an awesome guitarist, as is Tommy Emmanuel.

I expect the root of this is my understanding of the language. As I study the Bible, I have to look up the origin of many words, in a few different languages, and it really brings home how abused the language is these days. I'm quite likely being overly sensitive to it, but then again, that's my job. Right?

thereshopeyet

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:37 am

Thanks

Catman

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:22 am

That's an interesting question Andy.

On one hand, I don't find that such use of the term "god" in a non-religious context, in particular describing somebody as a "god", triggers any particular emotions in me (bugging or otherwise).

But on the other hand, I can't recall doing this myself other than the occasional "Oh, my god!" type exclamation. This is not a conscious act; I am not telling my self not to do it. It is just ingrained habit.

Maybe the reason is that I live in an environment where religious law has great influence on day-to-day life.

David

dekotaj

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:41 am

Andy,

As A christian.I'm thinking their uses of the word GOD means,you cant get any better,nothing higher,the best,The greatest.And with GOD these thing are true.With guitar players,I'll let GOD figure that one out for himself.

Kevin

frybaby

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:54 pm

One way of looking at this that might ease your irritation is to consider, as you no doubt are well aware, that even the Bible teaches that there are lot of god, but only one true God.
For just a few examples consider Deuteronomy 32: 16 and 2 Cor 4:4.

So the term Guitar God,could be taken (if taken seriously as a reference to god) is only a reference to on of the many false god that people have created for themselves.

Also it may be helpful to consider, that the term god has more than one meaning, for instance the 3rd defination in Websters dictonary is "3 : a person or thing of supreme value"

Just a thought.

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Andy:

Language has gotten so casual in these new days. I am almost certain that nobody intends it to be a slight to your God. Maybe a bit insensitive to believers when it is used in that manner, but most likely not derogatory. There are so many beliefs these days, it is almost impossible NOT to offend someone when you use slang or loose terms. I myself find no offense by language these days as society as a whole is getting a bit nuts for my liking. :woohoo: I will however try my best to keep this kind of stuff in mind. I would certainly not intend to offend any of my friends. A little courtesy goes a long way..... B)

MJ

AndyT

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Nobody here has offended me.

My main reason for posting this was to bring it to peoples attention. So often we say things without considering the real meanings or consequences of our words. We string them together into what sounds pleasing to our ears instead of what we really want to say.

Yes, I know Webster has that definition. I consider it ill-advised at best, but valid nonetheless.

The references to the Bible frybaby gave are really about idols. God forbids idolatry. Hmmm... Don't we have a show called American Idol? Try this reference: Matt 12:36

As a Minister, it is my responsibility to bring things to light that quite often make people uncomfortable, no matter where I am or what I am doing. I often hear, "I do my time on Sunday, leave me alone." I love TG and all the friends I have here and I would be horribly remiss if I did not bring things up on occasion.

BUT, This is a guitar site and I try not to preach here. But this term was particularly relevant and I felt it needed to be addressed. If I have offended anyone, I'm deeply sorry, but please understand, That's my job.

haoli25

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo Andy, how do you feel about those (like a certain Palestinian crook) that attach Reverend (worthy of reverence) to their name and claim it as a title?

Bill

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic