Lionel trains

NKenny

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:10 pm

Neil I heard you mention Lionel trains from when you were a youngster. I have mine from Christmas of 1957, it holds so many memories. I still collect them today. Guitars, Lionel trains and Mustang cars my three passions.

Kenny

tovo

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Hey Kenny it's nice to hear from you mate! Are you working on anything to stun us all with?

BigBear

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Kenny- does it have the 3-rail track? I had American Flyer trains which were bought out by Lionel just before Lionel went bankrupt. Did you know Neil Young was/is an investor in Lionel trains and in fact developed a sound system for the trains? Cool story!

Cheers! :cheer:

AndyT

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:54 pm

My Dad loved model trains and we never knew till he was in his 60's. My Mom bought him a really nice set and my brothers and I built an 8x8 foot platform/table for it. He had so much fun with that set. Now that I think back on it, it brings a tear to my eye. I'm so happy we were able to bless him so much before he died. What a great feeling.

NKenny

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:59 am

Bear, yes they are three rail track. I do know about Neil Young being involved with Lionel. I love his music and have some of his Vapor records train cars that were produced by Lionel.

Tovo Right now I'm just trying to learn how to play. Have to get a Flip camera, I guess I also have to get the nerve up. It seems I can do some things, but if someone is there I go blank and and turn to all thumbs. But I love watching you and all the others who put up videos. They are great

Andy , my set was given to me that Christmas, my dad passed away 36 years ago. Every year we put that Lionel train under the Christmas tree. And it seems I am a little boy back in 1957 watching that train go round the tree with my father

goldleaf

Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:31 pm

What is a Vapor records Train car? Sounds like you had some wonderful Christmas's with your dad and your Lionel train. I also had a Lionel Train that I wish I had taken better care of in my young teen years. The 50's were innocent and wonderful years in the US in many ways. Chevy came out with a great car and my sister graduated from H.S. in 1957 so when she had friends over I heard all the old shu wap songs, watched Dick Clark and the teens doing the twist on TV and the Mickey Mouse Club. We had a drag strip where you could race your car on a 1/4 mile strip without even seat belts. I remember lots of family Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners where lots of Aunts and Uncles, Cousins were there. Now everyone goes their own way it seems, travel is so much more developed. Wow, sorry, for that little trip down memory lane. Gary

AndyT

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Something you only get with age....

Great memories of days gone by.

NKenny

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:14 am

Gary, Vapor Records was Neil Young's record label and Lionel produced train box cars with that logo on. They are some what of a collector item now.

Have a great day Kenny

d_dog

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:09 pm

If you guys haven't seen this yet, check it out. It's a video of Neil Young talking about his Lionel Train hobby and what he's built for his son. Really amazing. 2 parts, make sure you watch them both.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic