Converting MOV file in AVI

d_dog

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:39 pm

It sounds to me like you have a computer processing power issue. It's possible that your computer can't keep up with the conversion process. As one of the links someone posted here states, video can take a lot more power to process than the audio. I see that AVS gives you some "default" settings when you choose .avi, .mov, .wmv, etc. For instance, when you choose the .avi button, the default settings are: MPEG4 (Divx/Xvid) 1500kbps; Audio: MP3, 192kbps. Try this, after you choose the .avi button, click on "Edit Profile..." and in the Edit Profile drop-down box, choose: Video: H.264/AVC, 768Kbps: Audio MP3, 96Kbps.
This will knock the Kbps down a bit and the audio down a bit, but it may help the sync issue. You'll see that each one of the conversion file type buttons has more settings if you go into the "Edit Profile..." section, you may have to play around with different conversions to get one that your machine can handle. By the same token, you don't have necessarily convert the video to another format, you could stick with .mov and just go into the "Edit Profiles..." section and change the output to something that will limit the video file size, after all that is the point of your issue right? Not necessarily the format itself?
An .mov file can be converted to a smaller .mov file by changing the compression method and audio codec, without really changing the file format at all, it's still an .mov, just a smaller one. Maybe this is worth trying as well. You'll notice when you choose the .mov button for conversion, that there are many quality settings, by default it chooses "Best" knock that down to "Optimal" and try that.
Good luck!

AcousticAl

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm glad others are speaking up here too.

Marc, that is also weird about you getting a hissing sound when you try to re-export. I'd re-check your settings and compare each of them to MJ's post.

You also have many options within AVS to experiment with. In the Advanced tab, you can tweak your audio parameters-- but you can also totally change your video format if necessary. .wmv, .avi, .mov, .mpeg. One of them should work for you. Usually just the canned settings are sufficient-- but obviously not in your case. You need to just experiment, while keeping in mind the tips and links in this thread.

Please keep us posted.

Al

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Yes MJ, I mean AVS not AVI Duh!
Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Lavallee

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Lavallee wrote:
HI MJ, I had tried AVS, but to make sure I re download AVS Converter. The free version leaves a water mark but I would buy the software. However after conversion I only get a hissing sound. I used the default parameter as you did.

Marc
A hissing sound....... :(

That sounds odd. I used the free version for a while and liked it other than the watermark. So, I purchased it and have found it to be quite nice so far. Can you check the properties of your .MOV file? Right click on it and select properties. Does it give you any codec info or bitrate info?

I have another program that I really like as well, called "AlltoAVI". Very easy to use, but not as dynamic. I have a clip on my hard drive that is a .MOV file from a camcorder. I am going to run it through AlltoAVI right now, and I will report back to you.

Jason
Thanks Jason, I will try ALL to Avi.

Marc

Lavallee

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:17 pm

d_dog wrote:
It sounds to me like you have a computer processing power issue. It's possible that your computer can't keep up with the conversion process. As one of the links someone posted here states, video can take a lot more power to process than the audio. I see that AVS gives you some "default" settings when you choose .avi, .mov, .wmv, etc. For instance, when you choose the .avi button, the default settings are: MPEG4 (Divx/Xvid) 1500kbps; Audio: MP3, 192kbps. Try this, after you choose the .avi button, click on "Edit Profile..." and in the Edit Profile drop-down box, choose: Video: H.264/AVC, 768Kbps: Audio MP3, 96Kbps.
This will knock the Kbps down a bit and the audio down a bit, but it may help the sync issue. You'll see that each one of the conversion file type buttons has more settings if you go into the "Edit Profile..." section, you may have to play around with different conversions to get one that your machine can handle. By the same token, you don't have necessarily convert the video to another format, you could stick with .mov and just go into the "Edit Profiles..." section and change the output to something that will limit the video file size, after all that is the point of your issue right? Not necessarily the format itself?
An .mov file can be converted to a smaller .mov file by changing the compression method and audio codec, without really changing the file format at all, it's still an .mov, just a smaller one. Maybe this is worth trying as well. You'll notice when you choose the .mov button for conversion, that there are many quality settings, by default it chooses "Best" knock that down to "Optimal" and try that.
Good luck!
Thank's Damian I will try MOV to MOV, I did not think of that. I doubt the PC is faulty. It is a few years old but it is a dual core 2.13, 4 G of RAM(I know it only reads 3, freaken Dell forgot to mention it), graphic card is Ati Radeon 256 Mb of RAM.

I think the problem is behind the keyboard. My ignorance of video conversion is great but with you guy's help , we will get to the bottom of it to the benefit of others. Also as you, Jason and Al have suggested, I will try different settings.

Thanks all for your help.

Marc

Lavallee

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:29 pm

I just found out what is the problem. I had the sound setting on the Q3 camera at PCM 16 bit (older CD format). Even when I was transfering from PCM to PCM and MOV to MOV both with the same settings Video and Sound, I would still get the hissing.

Most cameras are video cameras giving different video formats but a few sound settings. The Q3 has one video format (MOV) but 20 sounds settings. When I recorded in MOV and transfer to AVI using MP3 320 Kbps sound setting it worked fine. Since I uploaded to Youtube without any problem, I did not think about changing the settings to MP3 before

So I just need to record again next weekend in that format and I will resubmit again.

Thank you Jason, Al, Damien and Chris for your help and pointing me in the right direction.

Marc

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:54 am

Lavallee wrote:
I just found out what is the problem. I had the sound setting on the Q3 camera at PCM 16 bit (older CD format). Even when I was transfering from PCM to PCM and MOV to MOV both with the same settings Video and Sound, I would still get the hissing.

Most cameras are video cameras giving different video formats but a few sound settings. The Q3 has one video format (MOV) but 20 sounds settings. When I recorded in MOV and transfer to AVI using MP3 320 Kbps sound setting it worked fine. Since I uploaded to Youtube without any problem, I did not think about changing the settings to MP3 before

So I just need to record again next weekend in that format and I will resubmit again.

Thank you Jason, Al, Damien and Chris for your help and pointing me in the right direction.

Marc
Marc:

Glad you got it. It is almost always something very simple...... :silly:

J

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:11 am

Good to hear, Marc.

It really is the Wild West when it comes to video and computers. Just have to experiment until it comes together.

Looking forward to seeing your entry.

Lavallee

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Sorry for the late reply, as you guys said it does not take much to prevent the shuttle from lifting off (not comparing with my playing here). It is great when the machine is set but when you have to figure out stuff, this is when you appreciate to have friends. However, whenever you fail, you have the opportunity to fix it, then you just get better. It is great to fail.

Marc

nealm

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:41 pm

I have the same problem when I convert .mov to .avi. After the conversion finished, the output AVI file doesn't play sync. And I've tried several converters. But none of them seem to worked out. If there's other suggestions, pls let me know.
Thx.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic