Converting MOV file in AVI

Lavallee

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi all I ma trying to compress a video that I used for my competition entry. The original format is MOV. It made a file of 114MB, too large for the system. I found a video converter on the net AVS and changed it to MP4 and made a smaller file and uploaded it.

I had to review that new compressed format and the sound is out of sync. I tried other converters but they all seem to do the same (even the ones with the water marks in the image for the trial versions). I have Vista so IMovie does not work and Movie Maker does not take MOV files.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Marc

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi Marc,

Is what you're saying that the file is insync until it is uploaded to youtube-- then it is out of sync? If so, then follow this link to a post I made in the TG Techies Group.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... roupid=106

Lavallee

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:43 am

Thanks Al, yes I read the Techie section. It was suggested to use Movie maker, but Movie Maker does not support MOV file. I did not upload to Youtube, for the competition you just upload the file directly to TG, which I did to only noticed after that the sound was damaged (besides from my signing ;) ).

Marc

AcousticAl

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:44 am

Hmm.

So it's in-sync until you upload it, right? Have you tried re-compressing into a different than mp4? As you saw in the link, I think the problem is that sometimes video playback sites don't have updated codecs to play back users' videos properly. Now I know that you're not uploading to youtube for the contest, but it probably still applies.

Here's a quote from youtube about audio sync issues:
Uploading Issues: Audio out of sync
Out-of-sync sound is usually the result of using an audio codec that our system doesn't support. We're always adding new ones, but if this happens to your video, you can try re-encoding it with a different audio compression. We recommend MP3 audio for best results.

So they're suggesting just re-compressing the audio-- that would re-stripe the audio codecs.

Another option (though probably not high on your list) would be to re-record your entry using a different format-- something other than .mov if you have the option. What other options do you have? I uplaoded .wmv for my entry without issue.

Lavallee

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:02 am

Unfortunately the Zoom Q3 only allows to save in MOV file. It actally becomes out of sync after the compression before I upload it. So I made the MOV file as the original recording then compressed it (tried AVI, DVIx, Mpeg, MP4) before uploading anything to TG and no mather what the compressed file, it is out of sync.

By the way thanks for your help, Al

Marc

AcousticAl

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:20 am

That's weird. I was going to ask you how you uploaded your student review videos, as they are all in-sync. But I guess that's because you don't have to re-compress them.

You're basically coming from a mac format (.mov) to a windows format (.avi). I googled the problem and found this link where someone had a similar problem.
http://forums.techsmith.com/archive/ind ... -3597.html

I don't know if it will address your issue, but it does have some good info about file formats and some different settings that you can try when re-exporting.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:30 am

I hope I'm on the same page as you guys here.... I've been using AVI to convert .MOV files on my videos too. Works well. I found that using wave files for sound was better for the audio track than MP3 when remixing in some cases. In others, the MP3 worked fine.
I like the AVI audio editing programme. Have not had a sync problem uploading to youtube.

EDIT: Of course I mean AVS not AVI Duh!

Music Junkie

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:36 am

Chris:

Do you mean AVS, or AVI? I have not heard of an AVI program, but AVS is a great one. I convert .MOV files to .AVI all the time with the "AVS Video Converter" program. I make a custom conversion and use the following settings:

Codec: Divx MPEG-4
Frame Size: Original
Frame Rate: Original
Audio Codec: MP3
Channels: Stereo
Sample Size: 16bit
Sample Rate: 44100 HZ
Bitrate: 192 KPS

I have only had a problem one time that I remember, and it was because the file I was converting had an audio that was VBR (variable bit rate). I had to use another program (can't remember which one) to un-compress the audio and re-compress it to MP3. Once I re-compressed it, it converted perfectly.

Hopefully that is not too confusing.....

A great site to check out is www.videohelp.com

Here is a link from videohelp.com after I did a search of "Convert .MOV to >AVI."

http://www.videohelp.com/search.php?cx= ... Search#936

MJ

Lavallee

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:52 am

HI MJ, I had tried AVS, but to make sure I re download AVS Converter. The free version leaves a water mark but I would buy the software. However after conversion I only get a hissing sound. I used the default parameter as you did.

Marc

Music Junkie

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 pm

Lavallee wrote:
HI MJ, I had tried AVS, but to make sure I re download AVS Converter. The free version leaves a water mark but I would buy the software. However after conversion I only get a hissing sound. I used the default parameter as you did.

Marc
A hissing sound....... :(

That sounds odd. I used the free version for a while and liked it other than the watermark. So, I purchased it and have found it to be quite nice so far. Can you check the properties of your .MOV file? Right click on it and select properties. Does it give you any codec info or bitrate info?

I have another program that I really like as well, called "AlltoAVI". Very easy to use, but not as dynamic. I have a clip on my hard drive that is a .MOV file from a camcorder. I am going to run it through AlltoAVI right now, and I will report back to you.

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic